Aug 5, 2008CARE International in Kenya is seeking qualified candidates to fill the following positions within it's Emergency and Refugee Assistance Program based in Dadaab. North Eastern Province of Kenya.
1. SENIOR PROGRAM MANAGER - REFUGEE ASSISTANCE PROGRAM (RAP)
The Senior Program Manager (SPM) - RAP will report directly to the Senior Sector Manager (SSM), Emergency and Refugee Operations. The Senior Program Manager supervises a team of over 200 National staff with assistance from the Senior Management Team comprised of 11 staff.
- Monitoring of project activities and ensuring contract deliverables are met, and donor and management reports are completed accurately and on time.
- Development and supervision of budgets to CARE and donor standards, provide technical oversight in quality assurance and budget spending and financial accountability.
- Auditing of administrative systems and ensuring procedures are adequate and effective for project implementation.
- Monitoring project Annual Operating Plan (AOP) and Strategic Plans, revising as necessary.
- Ensuring quality control and best practices through appropriate project monitoring and evaluation.
- Monitor the situation in Somalia and develop contingency plans for potential influxes into the camps in collaboration with other partners.
- Deputize for Senior Sector Manager (Emergency and Refugee Operations) as required.
- Assure Adequate Funding for the Refugee Assistance Project
- In consultation and coordination with SSM, prepare and submit proposals including negotiation and revision with existing and potential donors.
- New program development for the RAP , especially focusing on the needs of the youth and minorities.
- Develop RAP Senior Management Team and Create Environment of Team Spirit and Cohesion
- Ensure performance management policy is followed for all staff working in Dadaab.
- Oversee the develop financial management capacity of program Senior Management Team (SMT).
- Conduct annual appraisals and assist SMT members to develop Individual Operating Plans (lOPs) including personal career development plans.
- Encourage TDYs to other projects, emergency response, development projects, other partners.
- Provide and encourage mentoring, coaching, team building and training opportunities at all levels.
- Encourage SMT to delegate and develop project management capacities of junior staff.
- Develop and revise, in collaboration with SSM, CARE Kenya Human Resources team, RAP policies on benefits and training and ensure that they are followed.
- Represent CARE Kenya in meetings with UNHCR, WFP, other partners, Department of Refugee Affairs, local and district representatives at Dadaab level.
- Create an interface between the refugee community and the local community.
- Liaise closely with other CARE programs in North Eastern Province.
- Degree or Master's level of education in development/relief related subject.
- Minimum 5 - 8 years experience working in emergency and humanitarian programs (preferably in refugee contexts) in developing countries, ideally within East Africa
- At least 3 years experience in management of multi-sectoral programs with a large and diverse donor portfolio (at least US$ 3 Million or above)
- Proven track record in design, planning and implementation of emergency/ refugee assistance programs.
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of refugee issues, UN policy frameworks and UNHCR operating norms.
- Strong financial management experience (preparation of multi-sectoral program budgets for various donors, strong financial tracking skills, experience in preparing budget realignments, cost and no cost extensions)
- Strong leadership, team management and staff development skills, including implementation of performance management systems.
- Ability to give and receive constructive feedback.
- Excellent proposal development and report writing skills.
- Experience in negotiating with donors and Government especially UNHCR, Bureau of Populations, Refugees and Migration (BPRM) and WFP.
- Experience in managing large commodity stocks and preventing losses.
- Strong computer skills are essential.
- Strong time-management and multi-tasking competencies.
- Ability to handle security and emergency situations calmly and effectively
- The SPM must be a pro-active, results-focused manager/leader.
The PM is responsible for overall management, oversight, leadership and strategic direction of Program sectors of CARE Refugee Assistance Programme: Education, Gender and Development, Community Development Services, Water and Environmental Sanitation and North Eastern Province Program.
This position reports to the Senior Programme Manager-RAP
- Facilitate development of Programme strategies and plans which correspond with CARE Kenya mission & vision.
- Coordinate and manage multi-sectoral programme implementation and components of all CARE programmes in the region.
- Oversee annual Gap Analysis across multi-sectoral programming and use the same to prioritize fundraising initiatives and presentation to development partners and donors.
- Responsible for annual proposal development, implementation and evaluation within programmes.
- Monitor proper utilization of programme budgets and enhanced programme delivery through overseeing preparation of financial annual implementation plans (AIP), budget tracking tools and Annual Work plans in line with available funds.
- Oversee performance management, staff development and supervision of a large diverse work group with a view to ensuring adherence to agreed upon programme objectives.
- Keep up to date with the latest developments in programme practice through benchmarking and the introduction of innovations as appropriate.
- Strengthen sectoral capacity building and promote inter-sectoral synergy within the programmes.
- Build and maintain strong networking with other organizations which share similar development mission & vision.
- Oversee development and management of national and Inter-organizational staff exchange networks.
- Operationalize community self management and support CARE in enhancing community participation in activities, both within and outside the refugee camps.
- Take lead in the enhancement of cross sharing with related and relevant programming in Somalia.
- Deputize for the Senior Programme Manager for the Refugee Assistant Project.
- Degree or Master's level of education in Social Sciences.
- At least 5 years experience in a senior management position with a leading NGO, INGO or Donor.
- Experience in working in relief and remote locations.
- Good analytical skills.
- Deep comprehension of Log Frame Analysis.
- Ability to work with a team, foster a team approach and incorporate capacity building activities into the programme.
- Commitment to minority rights, gender equity and equality, and ability to operationalize these in programming interventions.
- People management skills as well as mentorship experience and capability.
- Excellent report writing skills.
- Working knowledge of UNHCR operations and management as well as other donors and NGOs.
- Good communication skills .High proficiency in English and Swahili is necessary.
- Proficiency in Somali language would be an added advantage.
- High Proficiency in Microsoft Office.
The Human Resources & Development Manager,
CARE International in Kenya,
P.O. Box 43864-00100
Email: vacancies@ care.or.ke
on or before 15th Aug 2008.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted. CARE is an Equal Opportunity Employer.