Aug 4, 2008
Position: Administrative Officer, Data Section MR 9(JOB GROUP M)
A Bachelors degree in Administration, HR, Business Management or a related field Minimum 3 years experience in Public Health, Public Administration, Social Services, Business, or closely related areas.
Strong writing and communication skills Proven leadership, management, interpersonal, decision making and analytical skills. Ability to work with minimal supervision. Proficiency in computer usage especially Microsoft packages.
Basic Function of Position
S/He will Work under the supervision of the Chief, Global AIDS Program (GAP) - Data Management section and serve as the Administrative Officer for the section S/He will be the administrative liaison person between Nairobi GAP-Data section and other CDC GAP sections, KEMRI (Nairobi HQTs and KEMRI/CDC - Kisumu), HIV implementing partners, NASCOP and MOH. His/Her specific functions will include administrative support to GAP-Data section within CDC/KEMRI Nairobi and will work closely with the GAP-Data team in Kisumu.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Requisitions and follows up on supplies, stationery, printing, maintenance and other services from relevant offices, e.g. Procurement office.
- Provides support and assistance to staff on HR issues and maintaining and updating confidential database containing employee job descriptions, CVs, certificates, contract dates, grading, appraisals and leave details according to the CDC/KEMRI policies.
- Coordinates logistical arrangements for program activities such as workshops, seminars and other Data Section training programs.
- Also assists in the preparation of training materials and booking resources and equipment.
- Assists the Data Section Chief in the preparation of the sections budget.
- Liaises with HR Kisumu office in the processing of paperwork for newly employed staff.
- Coordinates personnel travel through the preparation of travel requests and travel orders for local and international travel and following up travel advances and reimbursement vouchers with Nairobi and Kisumu Accounts offices.
- Schedules, coordinates, attends, takes minutes and follows up on Data section meetings
- Undertake other administrative duties as may be assigned from time to time in line with the CDC/KEMRI regulations.
Bachelors degree in computer science/information technology or related field.
Minimum of 2 years experience required in design/ development of computer software applications.
- Fresh graduates with a first class degree and relevant attachment experience will also be considered.
- Knowledge of Visual Basic® and other programming languages in the NET environment is a key requirement.
- Demonstrable experience developing friendly and well designed user interface with connections to MS-SQL database or other major RDBMSs is required.
- Applicants are expected to have excellent program testing and trouble-shooting skills, user support and training both on existing and new systems.
- Ability to design complex relational databases and screen forms that emulate paper based data capture tools.
- Outstanding knowledge of report generating systems such as Crystal Reports desired.
- Experience with, or working knowledge of Portable Digital Assistant (PDA) - based applications, graphics design, and development of web applications will be an added advantage.
The main role of the holder of this position will be to develop and implement data capture, management, analysis and reporting tools and systems
The incumbent will also trouble shoot, modify/improve already existing electronic systems, train data personnel on developed/modified tools and systems.
Current systems are connected to various databases with the main ones being MS-SQL and MS-Access.
S/He will be expected to learn and maintain PDA-based systems developed in Visual CE, C# and Visual Basic with Mobile SQL database.
Position: Data Analyst MR 9 (JOB GROUP M) 2 positions
A minimum of a Bachelors degree in Statistics. Mathematics, Health Sciences or related field(s) Minimum of 2 years data management experience required.
- Fresh graduates with a first class degree and relevant attachment experience.
- Application of appropriate statistical methods and tools to analyze data from HIV Prevention programs;
- Designing and developing electronic databases in MS-Access and MS-SQL;
- Interest and/or experience in clinical or public health research/programs;
- Supervisory experience of data management personnel is desirable but not mandatory.
- Ability to plan and organize workflow is essential. Excellent knowledge of statistical packages (SAS/ SPSS/STATA),
- Knowledge of relational database management and standard MS-Office tools are required.
- Strong oral and written communication/interpersonal skills are needed as the incumbent will work with both junior and senior program staff as well as GoK/MOH staff and other partners.
- Self motivation to get work completed under tight deadlines will be a key attribute.
- Ability to work under minimal supervision, within a busy but friendly working environment is a necessity.
- The key roles will be to collate, clean and analyze data on HIV Counseling and Testing, Prevention of Mother To Child Transmission (PMTCT), Blood Safety, Male Circumcision and Other Prevention.
- The incumbent will apply appropriate statistical analysis tools and methods for routine and ad-hoc analysis of cross-sectional as well as longitudinal data.
- S/He will generate regular reports used by staff from the above mentioned program areas for monitoring and evaluation purposes. This entails working with the relevant programmatic staff in developing data capture tools and computer based data management and reporting systems.
- Portable Digital Assistants (PDA) are used for data capture and the incumbent will be required to learn how to program and synchronize these devices with desktop applications.
- A large data set already exists and this is updated regularly by Junior Data Managers, who will work closely with the incumbent.
- Opportunities exist for the right candidate to participate in ongoing operational research and this will richly add to his/her career growth.
- The successful candidate will work with staff at collaborating GoK/MOH health institutions.
EDUCATION: Certificate in nursing (ENC, KCN), Diploma in Nursing, HDIP. Nursing, BSc. Nursing, Dip. Clinical officers, HDIP. Nursing /Clinical Medicine EXPERIENCE: Minimum post internship experience of 1year direct patient contact clinical Experience working in a pediatrics unit.
REQUIREMENT: KEMRI/CDC IS CREATING A DATABASE FOR CLINICAL OFFICERS AND NURSES FROM WHICH WE SHALL BE RECRUITING FOR PART TIME, REGULAR AND TEMPORARY STAFFING NEEDS.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT;
Contract for 1 year, renewable as per KEMRI scheme of service. Probation period for the first 3 months. Salary negotiable within the appropriate grade depending on education, experience and demonstrated competency.
Applications should include the following:
- Letter of Application (INDICATE VACANCY NUMBER)
- Current Curriculum Vitae with telephone number and e-mail address
- Three letters of reference with contact telephone numbers and e-mail addresses
- Copies of Certificates, Diplomas or Transcripts Contact telephone number.
Human Resource Manager,
P.O. Box 1578, Kisumu.
Or e-mail to
Internal candidates interested in applying for this position are strongly advised to access an internal candidate application form available in the CDC Intranet; print and process it through the project Managers and attach it before forwarding application to HR.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.