Sep 30, 2008
Kenya Bureau of StandardsThe Kenya Bureau of Standards (KEBS) is a statutory body of the Government of Kenya, established by an act of Parliament in 1974, Cap 496 of the Laws of Kenya, The Standards Act.
Quality products for quality life
Quality products for quality life
The mandate of KEBS is to promote standardization in commerce and industry, provide testing and calibration facilities, control the use of standardization marks, undertake educational work in standardization, assist in the implementation and practical application of standards and maintain and disseminate International System (SI) units of measurement.
KEBS wishes to recruit dynamic and result oriented individuals for the following senior management positions:
1. ASSISTANT DIRECTOR, FINANCE & STRATEGY
Reporting to: MANAGING DIRECTOR
Job Role: Provide leadership in developing and implementing financial, Procurement, ICT and Corporate Planning policies in line with the corporate business strategy.
1. Providing leadership in the preparation, implementation and revision of strategic plan.
2. Ensuring that the organization has a robust and business friendly ICT policy and strategy.
3. Developing and implementing procurement policy in line with Government procurement policy
4. Facilitating sustainability of KEBS programs/project by ensuring all financial transactions are done efficiently and effectively.
5. Ensuring the organization has a sound liquidity ratio.
6. Advising management on investment priorities.
7. Developing and maintaining sound financial and accounting systems
8. Preparing timely financial management reports such as quarterly performance contract report etc.
9. Liaising with other financial institutions and government agencies and partners to mobilize funds.
10. Coordinating timely KEBS budget preparation, control and implementation
11. Formulating and implementing financial policies of the organization
12. Implementing financial controls to prevent misallocation of resources.
13. Advising the Board on financial matters.
Minimum academic qualifications:
Bachelors Degree in the relevant field.
• CPA (K) or its equivalent.
• Must be trained on use of ACCRAC
• MBA either in Strategic Management or Finance is an added advantage
Relevant work experience: 10 years five of which must be as a head of Department
Competencies: Integrity skills, Communication skills, Assertive, Analytical skills
2. CHIEF MANAGER, INTERNAL AUDIT
Reporting to: AUDIT COMMITTEE OF THE BOARD THROUGH THE MANAGING DIRECTOR
Job Role: Ensuring the organization internal control system are operating efficiently and effectively.
1. Supervising office operation to ensure departments mandate is carried out and executed effectively.
2. Ensuring that the internal control system operates effectively and is efficient through continuous audit verification.
3. Reviewing plans and developing internal audit systems and procedures in line with audit standards for effective operations.
4. Reviewing internal audit working papers produced by internal auditors and issuing internal audit report.
5. Ensuring that payment vouchers are audited before cheques are drawn and comply with the organization's policies.
6. Independently reviewing, appraising all system and recommending any appropriate control measures to minimize risk implications.
7. Carrying out audit activities on all the regions, financial operations to ensure that they comply with the organizational policies and procedures as approved.
8. Verifying and examining all payment vouchers, PRVs, imprest staff claims and bank schedules to ensure they comply with organisational policies and that are accurate, correct and properly compiled for payment.
9. Verifying revenue, creditors, debtors, CB & Final accounts for compliance with the set control systems.
10. Member of the board audit committee
Minimum academic qualification: Bachelor of Commerce or its equivalent
• CPA (K) or its equivalent
• Must be trained on use of ACCPAC
• Knowledge in IDEA SOFTWARE and systems auditing an added advantage
Relevant work experience: 8 Years three of which must be at senior level
Competencies: Integrity, Leadership skills, Communication skills, Assertive, Analytical skills
3. MANAGER, EMPLOYEE RELATIONS & CHANGE
Reporting to: ASSISTANT DIRECTOR, HUMAN RESOURCES AND ADMINISTRATION
Job Role: Managing employee relations issues in the organization.
1. Managing change through employee friendly initiatives
2. Researching on modern HR trends and making recommendation for improvement of the systems.
3. Participating in developing HR Plans and strategies.
4. Co-ordinating all HR issues from the Regions.
5. Managing employee communication and handling grievances
6. Organizing regular staff briefing on HR policies and any reviews or changes
7. Regularly undertaking HR Audits.
8. Co-coordinating staff surveys (Attitude, satisfaction and exit interviews)
9. Organizing and coordinating disciplinary committee meetings and implementing decisions of the committee(Secretary to the disciplinary committee)
10. Coordinating Quality Management Systems within the department
11. Developing and implementing performance Management strategies.
12. Carrying out competence mapping to determine organisational capability
Bachelors' degree in social sciences or equivalent
Post graduate course in HRM or its equivalent
Relevant work experience: 6 years, three of which must be at senior level
Competencies: Integrity, Assertiveness, Team Player, Interpersonal Skills, Counselling skills
4. CORPORATE PLANNING MANAGER
Reporting to: ASSISTANT DIRECTOR, FINANCE & STRATEGY
Job Role: Co-ordinate the formulation of the business strategy, monitor and evaluate the performance of various business streams.
1. Providing overall leadership in business development and planning activities.
2. Co-ordinating the development and periodic review of the strategic plan
3. Evaluation and development of new projects and business opportunities
4. Monitoring of performance to ensure organization's objectives and targets are met
5. monitoring and coordinating the organisation's performance contract with the government
6. Managing and developing proposals for transforming assets to optimise returns
7. Participate in aligning budgetary provisions to strategic plans
Minimum academic qualifications:
• Bachelors degree in relevant field
• MBA in strategic planning Professional qualification:
Must be trained on use of statistical analysis tools and planning models
Relevant work experience: 6 Years of relevant experience, three of which must be at managerial level
Competencies: Organisation skills, Leadership skills, Communication skills, Negotiation skills Analytical
5. ERGONOMIC AND SAFETY MANAGER
Reporting to: DIRECTOR, METROLOGY AND TESTING
Job Role: Ensuring the organisation meets the legal requirement as regards environment and safety while meeting international standards.
1. Developing and operationalising Environment Health and safety policy
2. Ensuring that the organisation meets National and international safety standards in its laboratory operations
3. Equipping employees and KEBS stakeholders with Environment and Safety knowledge
4. Ensure the Company maintains a safe and health working environment.
5. Carry out assessments and reviews of the organisations Environmental, Health and Safety impacts of its present and future activities on a regular basis.
6. To proactively carry out cost effective measures to safe guard the health and safety of all persons in the organisations premises and business operations and physical environment.
7. Ensure the organisation comply with ILO conventions on health and safety.
8. Will ensure that machinery, plant, articles, substances etc purchased, designed, or manufactured, including the Erection of installation conform to EHS guidelines.
9. Head the Organisation emergency and contingency committee
10. Promote Heath and safety activities at work place
Minimum academic qualifications:
- BSc. (Engineering) or BSc Technology or its equivalent from a recognized University.
- Msc in Engineering and Safety or its equivalent
Competencies: Leadership skills, Analytical skills, Proactive, Results oriented, Integrity,
6. Assistant Manager, System Integration
Reporting to: CHIEF MANAGER, INFORMATION COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY
JOB ROLE: Design, Develop, implement and manage software policies that meet objectives of the department
1. Advice the manager on the performance of the software development processes
2. Coordinate the process of identifying the ICT needs in the organization
3. Analyze and design appropriate software to meet the ICT needs
4. Lead a team in software development as per the customer specifications
5. Ensure software testing is carried out
6. Coordinate the implementation of the software development
7. Participate in outsourcing of KEBS software applications
8. Ensure deployment, maintenance and management of outsourced software.
9. Develop and maintain database management system
10. Ensures software backups and security
11. Liaise with KEBS partners for proper data electronic transmission for decision making.
12. Participates in Disaster recovery and Business Continuity Plans
13. Ensure systems upgrades
Minimum academic qualification: BSc in Computer Science, IT from a recognized university
Professional qualification: Diploma in IT or Computer Science or its equivalent
Relevant work experience: 6 Years
Competencies: Integrity, Analytical, Leadership skills, Communication Skills
Applications which include Curriculum vitae and copies of relevant certificates should be submitted to:
The Managing Director
Kenya Bureau of Standards
P O Box 54974 OO2OO
Applications must be received by 14th October 2008.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.