Jan 12, 2009
Applications are invited for the following vacancies with the Kenya Power & Lighting Company Limited.
1. REGIONAL SAFETY ENGINEER (1 POST)
Job Ref. - HR: KPLC1/5CB/3-34
Duties & Responsibilities
Reporting to the Regional Manager, the Regional Safety Engineer will undertake the following duties and responsibilities:
- Participating in development and implementation of Departmental plans in line with the Department's occupational safety & health objectives in the Regions.
- Implementing occupational safety & health policies, norms, guidelines and procedures.
- Co-ordinating the statutory safety & health audits at the worksites in the Regions.
- Facilitating and participating in accident & incident investigations and following up on implementation of preventative & corrective actions in liaison with the regional management.
- Planning, organizing and implementing relevant occupational safety & health activities and programmes that enhance the safe work culture within the respective Regions.
- Liaising with other functions in the Regions to ensure implementation of safe systems of work.
- Providing expert advice and support on safety & health issues to internal stakeholders.
- Facilitating and participating in worksites audits and inspections including management of contractors in the Regions.
- Monitoring implementation and compliance to Fire Prevention Policy within the respective Regions.
- Providing secretarial services to Safety & Health Committees in the Regions and ensuring adherence to terms of reference.
- Carrying out occupational safety & health awareness campaigns, training, review meetings, workplace health surveillance and recommending improvements in the Regions.
- Monitoring stocking of suitable/safe quality materials, and equipment for the staff in the Regions.
- Undertaking any other duties as may be assigned.
Applicants should be in possession of the following:
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering/Physical Sciences from a recognized University. Registration with professional bodies/training on safety would be an added advantage.
- At least five (5) years experience working as a safety & health professional.
- Good understanding of safe systems of work and the human dynamics of achieving an injury free workplace.
- Good IT user skills.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Good networking skills.
- Assertiveness skills.
- Team player.
2. SOCIO-ECONOMIST (1 POST)
Job Ref. - HR: KPLC1/5CB/3-35
Reporting to the Environmental & Social Specialist, the Socio-Economist will undertake the following duties and responsibilities:
- Providing analytical support for needs assessment, survey and feasibility studies related to the Company's business power infrastructure projects.
- Assessing compensation and mitigation measures with a view to addressing impact of projects as well as identifying value adding opportunities.
- Assisting project teams and other stakeholders in the formulation of terms of reference of contracts and subcontracts to ensure socioeconomic aspects are covered.
- Advising and recommending scenarios that will optimise on community benefits on the basis of assessments and surveys.
- Preparing terms of reference for the socio-economic surveys and facilitating implementation of related recommendations.
- Liaising with relevant staff/communication specialists and other stakeholders in the dissemination of public information relating to the Company's business power infrastructure projects.
- Liaising with relevant staff/marketing specialists and other stakeholders in undertaking economic analysis for identifying equipment/technology that have great impact on energy efficiency and nil impact on the ecosystem.
- Assessing the economic challenges pertaining to the availability, adequacy and pricing of energy efficient technologies in the market.
- Strengthening the Company's in-house economics skills including provision of socio-economic research input to policy research projects.
- Participating in formulation of expression of interests and related to documentations for major power infrastructure projects in the Company on behalf of social regeneration teams.
- Providing technical and advisory support to private sector clients and other stakeholders towards achieving positive and sustainable development outcomes.
- Performing any other duties as may be assigned.
Applicants should be in possession of the following:
- Bachelor's degree in Social & Economic Sciences or equivalent qualifications from a recognised University.
- Post Graduate Training in quantitative and economic skills or related studies.
- Background knowledge on impact assessment processes.
- At least five (5) years relevant work experience in performing quantitative and statistical analysis.
- Previous work experience on environmental & social impact assessment will be an added advantage.
- Good IT User skills.
- Good interpersonal & communication skills.
- Assertive and team player
Interested persons should send their applications, CVs, copies of certificates, copy of National Identity Card and relevant testimonials, daytime/mobile telephone contact and names of three (3) referees to:
Human Resources & Administration,
The Kenya Power & Lighting Company Limited,
P.O. Box 30099-00100, Nairobi.
(Quote job reference on the envelope).
so as to reach not later than Friday, 23rd January 2009. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
The Kenya Power & Lighting Company Limited is an equal opportunity employer