Sep 23, 2009
The Company’s mandate is to construct, operate and maintain high voltage electricity transmission lines and substations that will form the backbone of the National Transmission Grid.
The Company now invites applications from qualified and experienced personnel with excellent credentials to fill the following vacant positions:
Head of Technical Services
Reporting to the Managing Director and CEO, the Head of Technical Services will be responsible for
- all the activities in engineering and technical operations related to planning, design and implementation of electricity transmission projects;
- operation and maintenance of the transmission lines and associated substations;
- co-ordinating all operations related to the interconnection of the power grid operated by KETRACO and other grid systems and power generators;
- ensuring that transmission systems are implemented and operated in strict adherence to the Company’s standards and in conformity with other recognised national and international standards and to ensure efficient and effective management of the Company’s core business.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical/Civil (Structural) Engineering;
- Masters in Engineering or Business Administration;
- Registered Engineer with the Kenya Engineers Registration Board (KERB), Member of the Institution of Engineers of Kenya (MIEK);
- Ten (10) years relevant experience five(5) of which must be at senior level and four (4) in management of large projects including project planning, implementation and monitoring preferably in Electricity Transmission system;
- Strong leadership skills including effective interpersonal and well developed communication skills and
- Proficiency in computer applications including those that are used for structural analysis, structural design and power system studies will be an added advantage.
Reporting to the Managing Director and CEO, the Regional Power Pool Coordinator will coordinate, administer and participate in all the activities related to the initiation of regional power pool projects and membership of regional power pools.
- Masters Degree in International Relations or Equivalent;
- Ten(10)years experience in Regional development programs covering at least 10 African countries;
- Articulate planner with ability to network;
- Good IT skills;
- Good interpersonal & communication skills;
- Assertive and team player and
- Knowledge of a foreign language will be an added advantage.
Reporting to the Head of Technical Services, the Civil Engineers will be responsible for designing and supervising civil works associated with construction of transmission lines and sub-stations.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil (Structural) Engineering from a recognized University. Masters Degree will be an added advantage;
- Registered Engineer with the Kenya Engineers Registration Board (KERB);
- Member of the Institution of Engineers of Kenya (MIEK) ;
- At least five (5) years experience in structural design; three (3) of which should have been in the design and construction for civil works and projects management;
- Experience in design and erection of electricity transmission lattice towers will be an added advantage and
- Proficiency in computer applications including those that are used for structural analysis and design will be an added advantage.
Reporting to Head of Technical Services, the Electrical Engineers will be responsible for planning, design, supervision and maintenance of electrical works including:-
- Specifications of the transmission system,
- System commissioning,
- System protection,
- System studies,
- Installation and maintenance of substation equipment,
- System switching, operations and
- System maintenance.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering. Masters Degree will be an added advantage;
- Registered Graduate Engineer with Kenya Engineers Registration Board (KERB);
- Eight (8) years relevant working experience; Three (3) of which should have been in either construction and maintenance of high voltage transmission lines, power system studies, or system protection and
- Proficiency in computer applications. Experience with those that are used for power system studies will be an added advantage.
Reporting to the Company Secretary, successful candidates will be responsible for
Implementing strategies, policies and standards pertaining to property management, valuation and acquisition of land and buildings for use by the company, registration of easement, liaison with Local authorities and other Government bodies on matters related to property and easement acquisition and advice on property matters as necessary.
- Bachelor of Arts in Land Economics;
- Masters Degree will be an added advantage;
- Diploma Certificate from the Institution of Surveyors of Kenya in Valuation and Estate Management;
- Full Member of Institution of Surveyors of Kenya and Registered Valuer;
- Eight (8) years experience in valuation and acquisition of sites and other fixed assets and
- Proficiency in applicable computer packages.
Socio–Economists will report to Head of Technical Services and will provide analytical support for needs assessment, survey and feasibility studies related to the Company’s power infrastructure projects, assess compensation and mitigation measures with a view to addressing impact of projects as well as identifying value adding opportunities, assist project teams and other stakeholders in the formulation of terms of reference of contracts and subcontracts to ensure socio-economic aspects are covered.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social & Economic Sciences or equivalent qualifications from a recognised University
- Agricultural Engineering background will be an added advantage
- Post Graduate Training in quantitative and economic skills or related studies.
- Background knowledge on impact assessment processes;
- At least five (5) years relevant work experience in performing quantitative and statistical analysis;
- Previous work experience on environmental & social impact assessment and way leave acquisition will be an added advantage;
- Proficiency in applicable computer packages;
- Good interpersonal & communication skills and
- Assertive and team player.
The Environmental Expert will report to the Head of Technical Services and will develop and track environmental performance, assist with the setting of objectives and goals, ensure compliance, measure against standards, act as KETRACO’S contact person and coordinator with expert consultants on environmental matters, conduct environmental reviews of KETRACO projects and, ensure environmental issues are addressed early in the implementation process and interact with World Bank and other partner/donor organizations in order to comply with regulatory environmental laws and regulations.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Environmental/Social/Biological Sciences or Engineering;
- Postgraduate training in Environmental or related studies;
- Registered Environmental/Social practitioner with recognized local/international institution(s);
- Proficiency in applicable computer packages;
- Good oral & written communication;
- Assertive with good interpersonal skills; team player;
- Credibility & flexibility to deal with people at varied levels and cultural backgrounds persuasive and
- Pro-active, highly motivated, adheres to deadlines and posses problem solving skills.
The Economist who will report to the Head of Corporate Affairs and Administration and will be responsible for analysis, evaluation and selection of projects.
In addition the Economist will be expected to develop economic analysis and policies in relation to a range of aspects, from efficiency, productivity and industry costs, to cost comparisons and benchmarking.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Econometrics or Mathematics;
- Masters Degree in Economics will be an added advantage and
- At least eight (8) years relevant experience.
The Human Resources Officer who will report to the Administration and Corporate Affairs Manager will be responsible for developing policies geared towards building excellent human capacity for the Company while ensuring timely and efficient recruitment procedures are followed when filling vacancies, generate information for periodical reports on overall HR status in the Company, facilitate identification of suitable staff training programmes, including staff development and on-the-job training, ensure that all relevant Staff Records are updated and maintained and all Personal Files safeguarded and kept confidential at all times.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resource Management or Degree in a related field with Diploma in Human Resource Management;
- Masters Degree in the field of Human Resources or Masters in Business Administration will be an added advantage;
- Member of a relevant professional body;
- Minimum eight (8) years relevant working experience;
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills;
- Proven communication skills;
- Computer proficiency and ability to operate an HR Information System;
- Rounded experience and knowledge of Labour laws, procedures and policies;
- Ability to interpret, find solutions and to articulate employee concerns and
- Ability to maintain professionalism and keep abreast with emerging trends in Human Resource Management.
The Procurement Officer who will report to the Finance Manager will be responsible for managing key purchasing processes related to supplier selection, supplier evaluation negotiations and contracts management, preparing and updating procurement manuals and standard documents, coordinating the preparation of tender documents, advertising, opening, evaluation and contract negotiations.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Commerce or related field;
- Masters Degree in Procurement or related field will be an added advantage;
- Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply graduate or its recognised equivalent;
- At least eight (8) years experience in the field of procurement, three (3) of which should be in a similar position;
- Experience in procurement for projects under World Bank and other international Financiers is mandatory and
- Working knowledge in Public Procurement and Disposal procedures as well as World Bank procurement guidelines is essential.
Surveyors will report to the Head of Technical Services and will develop mapping of routes and other property for the proposed transmission lines and substations,
participate in reviewing and implementing survey policies, procedures and standards for the company, manage contracted survey services and ensure timely completion of contracted assignments and implement survey standards in Liaison with external institutions that deal with surveying and mapping.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Survey & Photogrammetry;
- Masters Degree will be an added advantage;
- Registered Surveyor;
- Eight (8) years relevant experience and
- Proficient is the modern methods of surveying and mapping using GIS and GPS.
Position will be responsible to Managing Director and CEO.
Internal Auditor will prepare detailed audit plans for audit assignments, conduct routine and special audits on company operations in line with Company policies and procedures, prepare timely and accurate audit reports, follow up implementation of recommendations and participate in review and development of audit manuals.
All should conform to internationally acceptable standards.
- Bachelor of Commerce preferably Accounting or Finance Option;
- Masters Degree in Finance or Masters in Business Administarion will be an added advantage;
- CPA (K) or ACCA or equivalent;
- Certified Internal Systems Auditor (CISA);
- Proficiency in applicable computer packages and
- Ten (10) years experience preferably in a large state corporation.
Position will report to the Managing Director and CEO and will be responsible for protection of company assets against theft, pilferage, damage, misuse, sabotage or other harmful causes, implement security strategies and measures to ensure maximum protection of company installations, other property, revenue and staff, direct investigations into security irregularities, potential threats and take remedial action to protect company interest, establish and maintain linkages with law enforcement agencies to enhance company security and collect and collate intelligence information on current trends in crime and other security matters that could adversely affect the company.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Science or Engineering;
- Post graduate training in Security;
- Computer Literacy and
- Working Experience ten (10) years including Military experience up to rank of major.
Managing Director and CEO
Kenya Electricity Transmission Company
7th Floor, Stima Plaza, Phase II, Kolobot Rd, Parklands
P O Box 34942-00100
So as to be received not later than 12:00 noon on 7th October, 2009
All envelopes and applications should have the respective job reference number clearly marked.
Only shortlisted persons will be notified.
Kenya Electricity Transmission Company Limited is an equal opportunity employer.
Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.