Nov 18, 2009
Job Title: Procurement Specialist -Ethiopia
Job Family: Procurement
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Appointment: Local Hire
Closing Date: 27-Nov-2009
Language Requirements: English [Essential]; Amharic [Desired]
Appointment Type: See Job Description Below
Background / General description
This is a local staff appointment based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Local staff benefits will apply.
The World Bank, Ethiopia Country Office is looking for a highly organized, energized and experienced professional, capable of operating effectively in a very demanding fast-paced environment to serve as the local Procurement Specialist.
This position is geared to assisting the World Bank staff, Ethiopia Government and other agencies in implementing World Bank-financed programs by providing critical procurement advice and support.
The Procurement Specialist will be located in the World Bank Country Office in Addis Ababa and will work on projects in Ethiopia. He/she will also work on country procurement system improvements.
The work implies frequent interaction with Managers and Technical Specialists in the work unit and staff from other agencies, donors, consultants and borrowers.
More specifically, working closely with the existing Procurement Staff in Ethiopia Country Office, under the guidance and supervision of the Procurement Hub Coordinator based in Addis Ababa and the Regional Procurement Manager (RPM) based in Washington.
Note: If the selected candidate is a current Bank Group staff member with a Regular or Open-Ended appointment, s/he will retain his/her Regular or Open-Ended appointment.
All others will be offered a 2 year renewable term appointment.
Duties and Accountabilities
Specifically, the incumbent will be responsible for the following:
- Provide procurement support during project preparation; and project implementation (including prior and post reviews of all procurement documents and decisions) for Ethiopia and other countries as required from time to time, of the projects portfolio financed by the Bank;
- Assist the Borrower in procurement capacity building activities including support during country procurement assessment and the procurement reform process;
- Work on procurement matters across sectors in the performance of the Bank’s fiduciary and service functions, seeking guidance on complex projects/issues from senior procurement staff;
- Review and handle the technical, commercial and legal aspects of procurement (in consultation with Legal and Policy departments as necessary) at all stages of the project cycle;
- Provide operational advice to clients and Bank staff on concepts, policies and procedures for international and local procurement;
- Participate in missions as procurement expert on projects; assess procurement implications of project design, evaluate institutional capacity of borrowers and develop suitable procurement plans; conduct prior and post reviews of Bank-financed contracts;
- Participate in country procurement assessments; prepare background analysis; collaborate on developing appropriate public procurement legislation and practices;
- Negotiate and resolve difficult procurement issues with Borrower agencies and handle questions/ complaints from senior officials and contractors on bidding and award issues;
- Design and conduct workshops to educate procurement professionals in the Bank and in borrower agencies on the Bank's philosophy and approach to procurement, as well as on specialized procurement topics; and
- Prepare a range of procurement-related documents and reports; and providing guidance and training to junior procurement staff.
- A Masters degree with a major in a relevant discipline (e.g. Engineering, Law, Procurement, Finance, Business or Commerce) and relevant training in procurement work;
- At least five (5) years of direct relevant work experience as Procurement Specialist or alternatively, having had responsibilities with a substantial content of his/her position in the procurement area in or outside the World Bank;
- Good knowledge of all concepts and principles of and approaches to international procurement, and of public procurement systems;
- Knowledge and understanding of technical, commercial and legal aspects of procurement at all phases of Bank lending operations;
- Demonstrated analytical clarity, problem-solving skills and negotiating skills with ability to balance project objectives and procurement requirements with client needs;
- Task/ Project management skills;
- Strong communication skills in presenting, discussing and resolving difficult issues, both orally and in writing, and excellent listening skills;
- Ability to deal sensitively with a multi-cultural environment and build effective business relationships with clients and colleagues within a matrix management environment;
- Ability to function effectively in multi-disciplinary teams with a matrix management environment;
- Exceptional degree of integrity, judgment and tact in handling the most sensitive, diverse and confidential material;
- Understanding of Bank business objectives, policies and practices related to project/sector and critical links to procurement is desirable; and
- Knowledge and experience in e-procurement will be an added advantage.
Click here to apply