Mar 10, 2010
Besides this core function, the Institute collaborates closely with the farmers, pastoralists, extension staff and other National and International Development Partners.
KARI manages Thirty-three (33) Centers inclusive of the sub-centres located all over the country with a view of developing and disseminating technology, tailored to meet the needs of different categories of farmers in various Agro-ecological zones and Socio-economic Circumstances.
The Institute has staff strength of about 3,000 staff out of which 553 are Research Scientists. In order to enhance provision of services, the Institute would like to fill in the following positions, which are vacant.
Deputy Director (Outreach and Partnerships)
Job Grade RI.15
The Deputy Director, Outreach and Partnerships as one of the Principal Assistants to the Institute’s Director shall be expected to:
- Promote the visibility of KARI and its role, mandates, products and services.
- Promote up scaling of adoption of value-chain-based KARI technologies, products and services.
- Promote establishment and strengthening of strategic partnerships for research development utilization continuum.
- Strengthen capacity for the dissemination of KARI products and services, clients’ feedback capture and integration into KARI research process.
- Promote client’s access to knowledge, information and technologies.
- Oversee proper management and accountability of resources allocated to technical programmes of KARI.
- Mobilize resources for technical activities.
- Co-ordinate submission of the Institute’s technology results to the Director, KARI for use by the national leadership and other stakeholders responsible for rural development.
- Co-ordinate timely preparation of Board papers. on outreach and partnerships.
- Any other duties, which may be assigned by the Director, KARI for the advancement of the KARI’s Mission.
- Have a Doctorate degree in a relevant field from a recognized institution.
- Have served as a Chief Research Officer or its equivalent for at least three (3) years or Senior Principal Research Officer or its equivalent who has served in this grade for a minimum of 5years with proven experience of research management.
- Have proven experience of at least 15 years of uninterrupted research in a research institution, which must include being an author of at least six (6) scientific publications in refereed journals OR relevant books (chapters) AND one (1) verifiable technology/innovation which must have been packaged and disseminated AND the first (principal) author of two (2) grant-winning proposals in addition to at least one of the following achievements: -
- Have demonstrated high degree of managerial and profession competencies as reflected in work performance and results.
This position is offered on a contract term of Three (3) years subject to renewal after satisfactory performance.
Women candidates are encouraged to apply.
Chief Supplies Officer
Job Grade RI.13
Reporting to the Director KARI, Chief Supplies Officer will be responsible for effecting and co-ordination of procurement of goods and services required by the user departments and research centres.
Specifically the duties will include among others:
- Procurement and distribution of supplies to Headquarters ensure strict implementation and enforcement of improved regulations and policies on procurement management, preparation of procurement plans, budget, verification and disposal of stores. Provide leadership to supplies staff.
- He/She will ensure that approved procurement procedures are strictly adhered to and are designed to facilitate opportune execution of approved activities.
A Bachelor of Commerce or Bachelor of Arts in Economics from a recognized University, Final Diploma in Supplies Management or its equivalent from a recognized institution.
- A Masters degree in Business Administration, Economics or Commerce from a recognized institution.
- Have not less than five years working experience in the relevant field.
- Demonstrated leadership qualities, management capability and integrity in work performance.
- Must be a team player
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Must be computer literate
Job Grade RI.12
The Assistant Administrative/Legal Officer will be the immediate deputy to the Administrative/Legal Officer in all legal matters.
He/she will report to the Director through the office of the Administrative/Legal Officer, KARI
- The suitable candidate must have a Bachelor of Laws degree from a recognized University and also an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya with a current practicing certificate.
- The applicant must have at least five years experience, be computer literate and knowledgeable in Commercial Law, litigation and conveyance.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing is essential.
Those with the above qualifications are invited to send hand written application together with detailed Curriculum Vitae, copies of relevant certificates and telephone number.
Applicants from the civil service or Government parastatals should channel their applications through their respective heads of departments/institution
- RI.15: Ksh. 147,679x 5,154 - 176,612x6,048 - 208,165x8,772 - 252,025 p.m.
- RI.13: Ksh.94,235x4,712 - 98,947x1,673 - 100,620x4,812 - 110,244x5,013 - 120,270p.m
- RI.12: Ksh. 77,527x3,877 - 81,404x4,070 - 85,474x4,272 - 89,748x4,487-94,235x4,712 - 98,947 p.m
Kenya Agricultural Research Institute
P.O. Box 57811-00200,
To reach him on or before 9th April 2010.
Please note that there will be no canvassing.