Mar 19, 2010
Agriculture, hospitality, real estate, transport, security, banking, print and electronic media.
The group’s vision is to be the premier and most respected investment group in the region.
To achieve this, it seeks to recruit qualified and experienced individuals to join a team of professionals in the group as Chief Accountants (5 positions) and Risk Officer (1 position).
The Chief Accountants will be responsible for the maintenance of an efficient and effective finance structure within the organisation whose objective is to provide sound financial management and control, financial planning, accounting and reporting, people management and development and ensuring compliance from an internal control perspective by ensuring compliance to company guidelines and procedures.
Reporting to the respective General Managers, key responsibilities of the Chief Accountants will include the following:
- Working with key managers on business decision support and financial leadership as well issues relating to accounting policies and procedures, financial management and control, planning and analysis and effective use if Information Technology across the business span.
- Coordinating and reviewing the preparation of business plans, strategic plans and annual budgets and reforecast as and when required.
- Responsible for accounting and financial management, overseeing the preparation of all financial reports including income statements, balance sheets and other key performance indicators reports.
- Monitoring and analysing financial reports and records, communicating them and proactively identifying issues and initiating corrective actions where needed.
- Directing the establishment and maintenance of accounting principles, policies and procedures in compliance with company policy and local statutory legislations.
- Developing, implementing and maintaining sound management controls to ensure full compliance with overall company policies.
- Overseeing people development initiatives and ensuring that all training, coaching and learning is implemented within the agreed schedule and in line with career plans and succession planning.
- Bachelor of Commerce degree with a bias is Accounting and Finance.
- A qualified accountant with CPA (K) or ACCA professional qualification.
- At least 3-5 years experience in a similar role and solid experience in management accounting and financial control.
- Must be computer literate with strong knowledge of accounting principles ie IFRS and strong analytical skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Plan and conduct audits to ensure compliance with the Group policies, standards and industry best practice
- Develop detailed audit programs, plans and schedules of areas for review
- Examine and evaluate companies' internal controls to ascertain their adequacy and make recommendations for improvement
- Periodically evaluate performance and efficiency of group companies' and give recommendations on areas of improvement
- Advice on and review companies' compliance to tax and other statutory regulations
- Prepare reports on areas audited with relevant recommendations
- Ensure implementation of agreed recommendations
- Carry out special audits and/or investigations and other special assignments as may be required by management from time to time as well as providing ad-hoc advice on control issues
- Degree in accounting, finance or business administration
- Professional qualifications - CPA(K) or ACCA
- 3 years audit experience in a commercial setting or professional audit firm
- Must be computer literate, a team player, possessing good communication, analytical and problem solving skills
- Have a reasonable understanding of different business environments, with good business awareness
- Have initiative, drive should be able to work independently
- Be ready you travel on duty from time to time