Aug 6, 2012
Brand: FH International
Job ID#: 157131
Job Type: Full Time
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Category: Relief/International Development
Benefits: Full Benefits
Contact: Debbie Meythaler
Motivated by Christ's love, this position plays a key role in promoting the wholistic ministry of Food for the Hungry (FH) through the framework of the organization’s vision, “God called and we responded until physical and spiritual hungers ended worldwide.”
This person will help the ERU and the Africa Regional Office increase our response capacity and relevancy with those in need and with institutional donors and agencies (UN, OFDA, PRM, etc.). This person will report directly to the ERU Director with a dotted line to the Africa Regional Director.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Key Result #1 – Liaise and network with institutional and private donors and write DRR, Preparedness and Response concept notes and proposals for the Africa region (40%)
- Develop a regional plan for meeting regularly (both for yourself and the relevant Africa country leadership) with FH’s key current and potential institutional donors (i.e. UNHCR, UNOCHA,WFP, UNICEF, USAID/OFDA, U.S. State Department/BPRM, DFID, CIDA, etc.) in order to maintain trusting relationships and to keep informed of opportunities for alignment of FH program needs and funding.
- Lead, in cooperation with Africa RD and ERU Director, the growth strategy of private donor funding for Africa – both leveraging African and non-African giving.
- Lead, in cooperation with the ERU Senior Program Officer and Africa RD, the growth strategy for institutional funding in Africa.
- Support Senior Program Officer in ongoing proposal development and reporting on current grants
- Travel alone and/or serve as the Emergency Response Team (ERT) Lead for assessment, proposal development and response. This often means serving local FH country offices in disaster response and possibly entering into emergency settings where FH does not operate.
- Provide a broad range of sectoral support (i.e. NFI distributions, Shelter, WASH, Health/Nutrition) to fields for emergency responses, either through personal expertise or maintaining and accessing appropriate networks inside and outside of FH.
- Manage logistics of emergency responses (movement of people and supplies) and temporary office set-up and warehousing.
- Proactively promote the excellence of FH work and ministry through advocacy to appropriate governments, international organizations and news and media outlets. (i.e. local govts, UN, Kenya’s Daily Nation, BBC, CNN should think of FH when thinking of good humanitarian work).
- Write regular reports in cooperation with FH Marketing and Communications on FH’s work in Disaster Risk Reduction, Preparedness and Response for internal and external distribution.
- Be prepared to backstop other global ERU needs as they arise (proposals, trainings, etc.)
- Be prepared to travel as surge support to other regions for disaster response and support
- Vibrant personal relationship with Christ
- Ability to sit at a computer for 8 hours a day doing repetitive motions on a keyboard
- Able to lift up to 25 pounds on a regular basis
- Ability to travel (domestically and internationally) under rugged conditions up to 40% a year
- Ability to travel and work in stressful conditions surrounded by human suffering and or danger
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong people skills
- Excellent proofreading skills
- Proficient in MS Office Suite
- Highly organized
- Able to multi-task