Jan 21, 2013
- Providing legal services to ensure appropriate interpretation of the legal safeguards and rights of the Board including patents, copyrights and trademarks;
- Organizing, preparing agenda for, and taking minutes during the Board’s meetings;
- Maintaining an up to date register for all Board’s minutes;
- Contributing to Board’s discussions, as when required, and advising members on legal, governance, accounts and tax implications of proposed policies;
- Providing legal advice to ensure appropriate risk management for the Board;
- Being the custodian of the legal documents of the Board including contracts;
- Preparing draft legislation for implementing the Board policies and strategies;
- Providing legal advice and assistance on all aspects of Government regulations and preparing opinions and legal interpretations on various matters related to the interpretation and review of State Corporations Act and other statutory requirements;
- Coordinating representation of the Board in courts of law, tribunals and before quasi-judicial bodies and may negotiate settlements to protect the interests of the Board in contested disciplinary proceeding;
- Preparing drafts and negotiating contracts, leases, formal agreements and other legal instruments between the Board and other parties;
- Participating in settlement and arbitration of disputes to protect Board’s interests;
- Monitoring developments in legal research, participate in outreach programmes to strengthen corporate governance and improve the quality of service delivery;’
- Liaising with Attorney General’s Chambers, Registrar General, law enforcement agencies and stakeholders on legal matters; and
- Advising the Board on any other legal matters
- Be a Kenyan citizen;
- Have a Bachelor of Legal Laws (LLB)degree from a university recognized in Kenya;
- Have a Post- Graduate Diploma in Legal studies from the Kenya School of law;
- Be an advocate of the high Court;
- Be of good standing and possess a current practicing license or certificate;
- Have at least three (3) years’ experience in legal practice, preferably in a corporate environment;
- Demonstrate good understanding of the Constitution of Kenya, 2010;
- Possess excellent report writing and presentation skills;
- Show good understanding of the operations of Boards of Directors;
- Demonstrate in-depth organizational and analytical skills;
- Be computer literate.
Reporting to the Film Monitoring and Enforcement Officer, the duties and responsibilities at this level will entail:
- Monitoring broadcast of films/programs and other contents to ensure that those intended for adult audience are not aired within the watershed period;
- Sensitizing the Broadcasters and public on broadcast content consumption and regulations;
- Addressing the public concerns on age suitability of broadcast content.
- Monitoring of TV, radio, and internet service providers (ISP) to ensure that they comply with relevant laws;
- Maintaining an updated catalogue of suspect contents clips.
- Kenya certificate of Secondary Education, Mean Grade C (Plain) with a minimum of C (Plain) in either English or Kiswahili or its approved equivalent qualification;
- Diploma certificate in any of the following: Film! TV production, Mass Communication, Journalism, photography, Psychology or any other approved equivalent qualification from a recognized institution;
- Certificate in computer applications.
KFCB Scale 9
- Ensuring that letters are appropriately filed and marked to action officers;
- Renewing file covers;
- Ensuring proper handling of documents, pending correspondence and bring- ups;
- Controlling and opening of files and updating file index;
- Ensuring security of information/files in the registry;
- Maintaining and up-dating file movement records; and
- Ensuring general cleanliness of the registry.
- Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education mean grade C (Plain) from Kenya National Examination Council or approved equivalent qualification;
- Diploma in any of the following: Records/Information Management, information/Library Science, or equivalent qualifications from a recognized institution; and
- Certificate in computer applications.
- Past experience in records management in a busy work environment will be a distinct advantage.
How to apply
Kenya Film Classification Board
P.O. Box 44226 - 00100
To reach him not later than I 5th February, 2013.
Ag. Chief Executive Officer