May 31, 2013
Islamic Relief is currently running Programmes in several sectors that include Education, Health & Nutrition, Water & Sanitation, Livelihoods Support and Child Welfare.
Position: Medical Camp Doctor
Duty Station: Dadaab
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist the medical coordinator on medical issues.
- Apply medical knowledge and skills to diagnosis, treatment and prevention (helped by clinical examination and available laboratory services) and ensure patient follow up at outpatient clinics if needed.
- Assist with medical referrals to Garissa and Nairobi.
- Responsible for surveillance and emergency response on camp level in collaboration with the medical coordinators in Dadaab and Nairobi.
- Ready to replace camp medical doctors in one of the camps if necessary.
- To be open to discussion for all the staff working in the hospital
- Follow-up of problems or conflicts in the camps when replacing the camp doctors and refer same to the admin/finance.
- Monitor the medical activities by ensuring data collection, compilation and entry into health information systems, and contribute to the analysis and reporting of the data in context with a public health approach to inform future programming
- Assist in Ward rounds in collaboration with the head nurse, the CO’s and ward staff when replacing any of the Camp Doctors during their absence
- Supervision of the feeding programs on medical issues.
- Conduct basic emergency surgical interventions mainly Caesarean sections
- To identify training needs, organize training and participate in trainings for the health staff.
- Medical doctor with diploma/degree recognised by the state.
- Registered and licensed to practise by the Kenya Medical and Dentists Board.
- At least 2 years clinical and surgical experience a busy hospital. Previous NGO experience is an advantage.
- Strong interpersonal skills, strong initiative, able to handle complex assignments with proactive attitude
- Organized, autonomous and attentive to details
- Punctual, reliable and flexible to work long hours when required
- Familiarity or experience working with health information systems and computer literacy with practical use of MS Office applications an advantage
- Due to the nature of the work, an ability to speak Somali will be a strong advantage