May 31, 2013
Islamic Relief is an international NGO, established in 1984 in the UK, seeking to promote sustainable Economic and social development by working with local communities through relief and developmental activities.
We aim to help the needy regardless of Race, Religion, Color and Gender.
Islamic Relief is currently running Programmes in several sectors that include Education, Health & Nutrition, Water & Sanitation, Livelihoods Support and Child Welfare.
IRK also implements seasonal Food Security Programmes including the Ramadan Food Distribution and Qurbani.
Position: Medical Camp Doctor
Duty Station: Dadaab
This position exists under the Health and Nutrition sub-project.
The overall objective is to provide safe, effective and curative health services, targeting the most important causes of illness and death among the refugee population.
This position exists to run the community mental health programme in the 3 refugee camps in Dadaab.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist the medical coordinator on medical issues.
- Apply medical knowledge and skills to diagnosis, treatment and prevention (helped by clinical examination and available laboratory services) and ensure patient follow up at outpatient clinics if needed.
- Assist with medical referrals to Garissa and Nairobi.
- Responsible for surveillance and emergency response on camp level in collaboration with the medical coordinators in Dadaab and Nairobi.
- Ready to replace camp medical doctors in one of the camps if necessary.
- To be open to discussion for all the staff working in the hospital
- Follow-up of problems or conflicts in the camps when replacing the camp doctors and refer same to the admin/finance.
- Monitor the medical activities by ensuring data collection, compilation and entry into health information systems, and contribute to the analysis and reporting of the data in context with a public health approach to inform future programming
- Assist in Ward rounds in collaboration with the head nurse, the CO’s and ward staff when replacing any of the Camp Doctors during their absence
- Supervision of the feeding programs on medical issues.
- Conduct basic emergency surgical interventions mainly Caesarean sections
- To identify training needs, organize training and participate in trainings for the health staff.
- Medical doctor with diploma/degree recognised by the state.
- Registered and licensed to practise by the Kenya Medical and Dentists Board.
- At least 2 years clinical and surgical experience a busy hospital. Previous NGO experience is an advantage.
- Strong interpersonal skills, strong initiative, able to handle complex assignments with proactive attitude
- Organized, autonomous and attentive to details
- Punctual, reliable and flexible to work long hours when required
- Familiarity or experience working with health information systems and computer literacy with practical use of MS Office applications an advantage
- Due to the nature of the work, an ability to speak Somali will be a strong advantage
How to Apply:
For a detailed Job description on the position kindly, visit our website: www.islamicreliefkenya.org.
Send in your updated CV with cover letter and 3 professional references to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org to reach us not later than Friday 1st June, 2013 clearly mentioning the position you are applying for.
CVs will be screened on an ongoing basis and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.