Aug 10, 2013
Call for Volunteer
Handicap international (HI) is an INGO specializing in the field of disability and development.
A strong emphasis sis placed on empowering persons with disabilities and their representatives, through their full participation into mainstream development processes and the provision of appropriate and accessible social, health and rehabilitation services, in order to ensure equal opportunities for all.
Handicap international is implementing a child protection project 'Ubuntu care: confronting sexual violence against children with disability in Kenya, Rwanda and Burundi'.
In Kenya the project geographical coverage is Trans-Nzoia County.
The project aims to address the root causes and mitigate the consequences of violence against children especially those with disabilities.
Handicap International seeks to engage volunteer to contribute to the project implementation process as well as learn from the great experience Handicap International is extending towards this important project.
During the period of engagement, the volunteer will be supervised by the project manage and expected to work closely with the project team to realize the following objectives;
1. To support in the consultancy processes of the resource mapping and assessment of existing laws, policies and services.
2. To co-facilitate legal matters during capacity building sessions for implementing partners.
3. To assist in implementation of activities on legal protection of child survivors
Tasks under objective 1
- Attend the orientation meeting and other subsequent meetings for the consultancy work under the resource mapping assignment and develop the minutes for records/reference purpose..
- Keep the track of the timeline for the consultancy and inform the project manager of the progress.
- Participate in discussions on determining minimum package on child protection services
- Participate in mobilization of partners for the resource mapping exercise and workshops
Tasks under objective 2
- Participate in the development of handouts to be utilized during capacity building workshop for partners
- Support in organizing trainings/workshops for partners
- Co -facilitate pre-test and post test for planned workshops targeting implementing partners.
- Participate in making follow up of action plans developed during trainings to ensure they are implemented.
Task under Objective 3
- Support in organizing for open forums (Tango talks) in collaboration with stakeholders in the judiciary system.
- Support community gender representatives in rolling out support at hearing (SAH) activities
- Participate in establishing a link between probono lawyers and the community to create a community response system towards child protection.
- Support implementing partners in mobilizing the community for community open forums (Tango talks)
- Participate in the open forums (Tango talk’s)
- Reports of activities and trainings done
- Training modules developed for legal matters
- Final report at the end of the volunteer period.
Duration of the volunteership
- From 15th August to 15th November 2013 with a possibility of extension
Requirements for the volunteer
- Holder of a Bachelor’s degree in Law from a recognized institution or social sciences.
- Experience in child rights and protection programming is an added advantage
- Ready to gain hands on experience for at least 3 months
- Proven networking and collaboration with stakeholders and beneficiaries
- A letter of recommendation from previous employer
- Should have a Personal Accident insurance cover
- Strong organizing and interpersonal skills
- Computer and internet literate
- Should be a self-starter and able to equally work with minimal supervision.
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should forward their applications together with an updated curriculum vitae (including three referees with their current contacts and email addresses) on or before 12th August, 2013 to email address:- email@example.com.
The email subject line should be marked: “Application for Volunteer position - Kitale”
PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS NOT A SALARIED POSITION AND THE VOLUNTEER SHALL BE BASED IN KITALE
Do not send your academic and other testimonials they will be requested at a later stage.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Handicap International is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females and Persons with Disability are encouraged to apply