Jul 21, 2014
About Evidence Action: Evidence Action is a new organization working in partnership with an existing non-profit organization (Innovations for Poverty Action, IPA) to scale proven interventions to improve the lives of the poor in Africa and Asia. Rigor, evidence, and action are all part of our values.
- Dispensers for Safe Water is an entrepreneurial program scaling the chlorine dispenser system – a proven innovation that dramatically expands access to water treatment at an extremely low cost.
- Deworm the World Initiative actively supports the scale-up of school-based deworming programs worldwide to improve children’s health, education, and long-term development.
- Learning and Communication (L&C): This team is responsible for supporting the program teams with timely information in innovative, useful and clear ways to translate analysis and research to evidence-based decision making and action.
- Monitoring, Analysis and Research (MAR): This team is responsible for ensuring that all ongoing program monitoring needs are met and analysis and research is conducted to support program improvements.
- Management Information Systems (MIS): This team is be responsible for ensuring that the all programs have access to timely and useful data for day-to-day programmatic planning and decision making through a cloud-based multi-user system.
- Data Quality and Management (DQM): This team is responsible for ensuring access to quality and timely data to meet all ongoing program needs; including monitoring, information systems and analysis and research.
- Diagnosing the data, research, and learning needs of all Evidence Action programs.
- Marketing and showcasing all MLIS services (i.e. data collection, analysis, research, data management etc.) to Evidence Action program teams.
- Ensuring effective information flow within program teams and between program teams and MLIS divisions.
Goals and Responsibilities
Diagnosing the Program “needs” from the MLIS Team
- Collaborate with all Evidence Action programs to identify the specific data and analysis requests made to MLIS team members for inclusion in reports, concept notes, case studies, etc.
- Bridge the connections between Evidence Action Programs Teams and Management Information Systems (internal MIS staff members and external vendors/contractors) to ensure that all program needs are able to be effectively captured in Evidence Action’s MIS systems
- Provide support in summarizing and synthesizing the work plans of Evidence Action programs with specific attention to areas where MLIS will provide support
- Stay attuned to the relative level of prioritization that program teams assign to MLIS tasks and projects
- Act as an Account Manager for the DtWI team, receiving general MLIS requests when program team members do not know the appropriate person to address their request
- Receiving requests from Evidence Action program teams regarding needs for data updates or clarifications within the MIS system is the most updated version from the programs team, check errors and advice on improvements
- Sharing specific program needs and requests with the relevant member of the MLIS team for service delivery and support
- Review and support program monitoring reports as requested by program teams in areas of MLIS specialization
- Participation in regular program meetings to collect updates and share tasks, plans and events of relevance with the MLIS team
- Overseeing adherence of MLIS team members with established protocols regarding the organization and use of shared files and resources within the MLIS team
- Create a knowledge, Learning and Development Centre for the programs as well as the team (Knowledge Library with researches done and one pagers)
- Identify best practices and lessons learned from researches done by MAR team and support tracking of progress for program teams to implement agreed upon best practices
- Promote a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the programme
- Providing timely access to existing analysis and cross-program lessons for evidence-based decisions
- Providing general and situation-specific guidance to Evidence Action teams regarding the services that the MLIS team can provide
- Developing, editing, and tailoring MLIS products to “fit” the target audience
- Assist in the production and presentation of MLIS communication material: presentations, and briefing materials targeted at Evidence Action program teams
- Support the preparation of communication materials and presentations to external partners and stakeholders
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant social sciences (i.e. economics, political science, data-journalism, public health, epidemiology, or related field
- A minimum of 1-2 years’ work experience generating high quality written material for internal leadership and/or external audiences
- A strong sense of curiosity and an orientation toward practical knowledge-seeking through learning, questioning, and experimentation
- Highest quality, professional writing and communications skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with a team that is geographically dispersed
- Self-directed/self-motivating personality
- Strong critical and analytical thinking skills
- Intellectual flexibility and willingness to form and adjust opinions based on evidence
- Quick to learn, motivated to self-teach and capable of independently translating new knowledge into practice
In addition, this position requires a candidate to:
- Have a strong commitment to evidence-based practice and policy in the development field
- Be enthusiastic to develop personally and professionally as part of a growing global team
- Possess a strong attention to detail and a genuine love of working with data
Applications can be submitted by email to email@example.com please ensure that the subject line reads: “Associate, Learning and Communication”.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Applicants are encouraged to apply early, as applications will be reviewed on a ROLLING BASIS.