Aug 4, 2016
Act Change Transform (Act!) is a leading Kenyan not-for-profit, non-governmental organization involved in diverse development initiatives in Kenya.
Act!’s main program focus is in Environment and Natural Resources Management; Democracy and Human Rights; and Peace Building and Conflict Transformation.
Our holistic approach to development is delivered through capacity development and grants management.
Capacity Development Specialist
1.0 Job Summary: Technically, Reporting to the Peace Building and Conflict Transformation (PBCT) Program Manager, the CD Specialist will take lead in providing technical support on Capacity Development services, approaches and ensuring continuous improvement of the same for delivery of top quality and best practice to Act! as well as it’s partner organizations.
S/he will maintain the quality standards of all tools and materials for use in the delivery of CD services and liaise with the Capacity Development Manager for technical assistance.
Administratively, and reporting to the Executive Director (ED), the CD Specialist will double up as the Act! Mombasa Office Manager.
S/he will ensure that all administrative, financial and human resource functions and operations of the sub office are up to the expected level of Standards.
2.0 Duties and Responsibilities
Specifically, the Capacity Development Specialist cum Manager, Mombasa Office will be responsible for but not limited to;
2.1 Capacity Development
- Design and implementation of sector specific organizational capacity assessment tools with participation of sector stakeholders within the Peace, Building & Conflict Transformation component specifically on CVE.
- Providing guidance in the Capacity Development Services (CDS) component for the programs which includes design, planning and coordinating CDS provision.
- Develop and ensure adherence to quality standards in training materials and delivery of CD services.
- Mentoring other staff on Capacity Development approaches and practices.
- Networking for new knowledge and information on Capacity Development.
- Supporting CSO partners to undertake Capacity Assessments as follows;
- Designing organization capacity assessment tools.
- Conducting Organizational Capacity Assessments and Organizational Network Analyses with partner organizations.
- Providing partner organizations with support visioning and general strategic planning.
- Providing partners with support in developing and implementing measurable resource mobilization plans.
2.2 Curriculum Development
Undertake the following tasks:
- Preparing / adopting and updating training manuals to address capacity building needs.
- Preparing training facilitation notes and training evaluations.
- Developing guidelines for mentoring and coaching.
- Revising existing tools to ensure they are up to date with new developments in the sector.
2.3 Participate in training facilitation, mentoring and coaching of CD and other program staff
- Designing and overseeing training programs.
- Delivering training with other team members.
- Providing individualized mentoring follow-ups at organizational and individual levels.
2.4 New Business Development (NBD)
- Contributing towards NBD by offering expertise in CD whenever necessary.
- Develop new business in Capacity Development.
- Give input in proposals on other platforms to ensure they include sound Capacity Development components as part of in-building sustainability.
2.5 Monitoring, Evaluation, Reporting, Learning and Knowledge Management and Sharing
- Participate in setting program targets in line with the overall strategic goals of the program.
- Participate in the development of annual work plans, programs implementation.
- Together with the Monitoring Evaluation Reporting and Learning team develop indicators and protocols for capacity building result areas and monitor on the same.
- Support in the production of annual performance reports for the donor.
- Provide coaching for staff and partner organizations in various Knowledge Management related aspects.
3.0 Sub Office Management
Specifically, the Mombasa Office Manager will be responsible for the management of all administrative operations within the Mombasa office including staff supervision.
3.1 Administration & Human Resource Management
- Ensure smooth running of all operations within the Mombasa Office.
- Effectively ensure that all Policies and Procedures guidelines and strictly adhered to.
- Staff leadership, mentoring and support.
- Oversee implementation of performance management of all staff within the Office.
- Work closely with the Senior Management Team (SMT) to ensure issues raised by the Mombasa office staff are addressed.
- Promote Act!’s values amongst staff and promote a positive corporate culture.
4.0 Qualifications, Experience & Personal Requirements
4.1 Academic qualifications
- A Bachelor’s Degree in a field related to capacity development, education, organizational development or any other related course.
- A Masters or advanced degree would be an added advantage.
4.2 Professional Qualifications
- Post graduate qualification in Training or equivalent Capacity Development training.
- At least 10 years relevant work experience, in successful capacity development of CSOs in Kenya.
- Knowledge of issues in Peace Building / Conflict Transformation and Advocacy will be an added advantage.
4.4 Essential Skills
- Proven leadership, management, communication, inter-personal, decision making and analytical skills.
- Ability to work in a high profile, fast-paced environment.
- Ability to communicate technical, administrative and management issues effectively and persuasively.
- Drive and passion to move things forward and improve on existing ways of doing things, not settling for status quo.
- Demonstrated ability to transfer knowledge through training and mentoring.
- Demonstrated skills in working with Government, CSOs and community groups.
- Fluency in English and Kiswahili for day-to-day communication and excellent English writing and presentation skills
How to Apply
If you meet the requirements as contained in the description, please submit
(1) a detailed and current CV;
(2) an application cover letter demonstrating why they qualify for this opportunity, quoting your current and expected gross salary.
All applications should be submitted electronically to email@example.com quoting the reference number (ACT/CDS/10/2016).
Only candidates shortlisted for interview will be contacted.
Deadline for applications submission is 5:00pm Friday 19th August 2016
Act! is an equal opportunities employer