Aug 25, 2016
Land O'Lakes International Development
Kenya Semi-Arid Livestock Enhancement Support (K-SALES) Project
Terms of References (TORs) for GIS Consultancy
Area of Coverage: Meru, Tharaka Nithi, Machakos, Kitui, Makueni and Taita Taveta
Reporting to: M&E Manager
Duration of Assignment: 1 Month (30 Working Days)
Expected Starting Date: September 19th 2016
Organization: Land O’Lakes Inc.
1. Project Background: The Kenya Semi-Arid Livestock Enhancement Support (K-SALES) project is a three year USDA funded project working to improve the competitiveness of the meat value chain to increase productivity and boost marketing and trade.
It targets the following six counties in Semi-arid Zone 2: Meru, Tharaka Nithi, Machakos, Kitui, Makueni and Taita Taveta.
The project reaches livestock dependent households and agribusinesses/service providers.
The Project is looking to engage a GIS Specialist for management of spatial data, producing maps, and providing technical assistance for a period of one month.
The Coordinates for group location, water, on-farm and off-farm structures, Business Service providers and Livestock Cooperatives are available in CSV files hence the consultant will not be required to collect the same.
2. Duties and Responsibilities:
- Data cleaning in order to consolidate various coordinate formats into pure degrees/decimals
- Conduct ground truthing on sampled data points available.
- Preparation of online maps (with ArcGIS online or similar software) for data review and analysis as well as reporting.
- Preparation of spatial data queries (with PostGIS database or similar software) for maps, graphs or tables related to the project indicators.
- Production of 12 printable maps on an A0 glossy paper (with ArcMap or similar software) for reporting.
- Preparation of manuals for procedures for web maps publishing and spatial Data queries
- Provide a comprehensive work plan on how the tasks/activities are envisaged.
3. Specific Deliverables
- A detailed work plan detailing activities over the 30 day period.
- A comprehensive manual detailing the procedure for web map publishing
- An ArcCatalog or its equivalent to manage geodatabase schemas, GIS servers and standards-based metadata
- Development of 12 printed Maps ( 6 of them shared in a frame)
- Conduct an In-house training to the relevant project staff.
4. Reporting Line
The GIS Specialist will work closely with K-SALES M&E Manager
5. Education and Experience:
- University degree in Geospatial Engineering/ Surveying or any other Geospatial related field. Post graduate degree in GIS/Remote sensing will be an added advantage.
- Preferably 5 years’ experience in GIS for a private or public organization.
- Experience in application of GIS in Agriculture and Livestock production projects.
- Fluency in writing, speaking and comprehending English Language
- Excellent cartographic skills( prove of previous work may be required)
- Should have strong understanding about the application of geospatial technologies especially in disaster risk management;
- Ability to undertake GIS based modeling for the preparation of hazard and risk and other maps
- Ability to have digital image processing and classification skills
- Knowledge and experience of integrated GIS/RS/GPS principles, systems, and technologies using tools like ESRI and programming with C/C++/VB.net and etc.
- Experience in Google Earth API/tools and GIS Web-services including KML files, WMS, WFS, ArcIMS etc.
- Experience of developing geo-databases and spatial analysis
- Knowledge of ISO, OGC Standards.
- Demonstrated ability to work under high pressure conditions and meet deadlines;
- Knowledge and skill in the operation of GIS equipment, e.g. computer hardware, plotter/printer, GPS
- Good interpersonal communication and coordination skills and a team player
7. Application details:
Interested individual consultants are encouraged to send in their applications with an updated resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline for application is 14th September 2016 by 9am EAT.
Late applications will automatically be disqualified.