Aug 18, 2016
M-KOPA is seeking:
Position Title: Information Systems Auditor
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Position Start: As soon As Possible
Reporting to: Head of Internal Audit
About M-KOPA Solar: M-KOPA Solar, headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, is the global leader of "pay-as-you-go" energy for off-grid customers.
Since its commercial launch in October 2012, M-KOPA has connected more than 350,000 homes in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda to solar power, and is now adding over 500 new homes each day.
The success of M-KOPA (M= mobile, KOPA= to borrow) stems from making solar products affordable to low-income households on a pay-per-use installment plan.
Customers acquire solar systems for a small deposit and then purchase daily usage "credits" for Kshs 50, or less than the price of traditional kerosene lighting.
After one year of payments customers own their solar systems outright and can upgrade to more power.
All revenues are collected in real-time via mobile money systems (such as M-PESA in Kenya) and embedded GSM sensors in each solar system allow M-KOPA to monitor real time performance and regulate usage based upon payments.
This connected design means that M-KOPA is processing vast amounts of data (i.e. over 10,000 mobile payments per day) via the company's proprietary cloud platform, M-KOPAnet.
As of January 2016 M-KOPA employs over 700 full time staff across East Africa and sells through a network of over 1,000 direct sales agents. It has also commenced licensing its technology to partners in other markets.
M-KOPA has been recognised for its pioneering business mode and scale, notably winning the 2015 Zayed Future Energy Prize, being selected as the top New Energy Pioneer at the 2014 Bloomberg New Energy Finance awards and earning the 2013 FT/IFC Excellence in Sustainable Finance Award.
M-KOPA has also successfully tested a range of new products that leverage its relationship with customers, and M-KOPA’s unique competencies in mobile telecommunications and ICT.
To ensure that the research and development of new products add value to (and do not distract from) its core business, M-KOPA is establishing the M-KOPA Labs.
The Labs will be a dedicated business unit within M-KOPA that will define and test extensions of the M-KOPA asset-based credit model for off-grid-power to new products and services.
- Participate in the Information Systems Risk assessment for M-KOPA and update the risk register appropriately.
- Conduct information systems audit and document the work done in accordance with M-KOPA audit guidelines and the Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA) standards.
- Perform information systems audits to provide assurance in system development standards, operating procedures, system security and programming controls
- Perform systems audits for backup, disaster recovery and system maintenance.
- Ensure access controls to electronic corporate information is adequately protected
- Review adequacy and effectiveness of the general information systems controls on hardware/software and recommend improvements in areas with weakness.
- Review and prepare concise recommendations for correction of unsatisfactory conditions in M-KOPA information systems and where technology is deployed.
- Ensure all M-KOPA Information Assets are safeguarded wherever they are deployed
- Perform continuous reviews of controls and security for systems undergoing development and/or enhancements
- Test backups and other Business Continuity Programs to confirm that these are working as planned
- Carry out other work as assigned by the Head of Internal Audit
Requirements / Specification
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Systems or Computer Science from a recognized university.
- Advanced use of computer aided audit software e.g. IDEA, ACL, TeamMate
- Professional Certification in I.T Auditing e.g. CISM, CISA, CISSP, CRISC
- Excellent understanding of auditing concepts and practices with a minimum of 3 years’ experience in I.T or I.T Audit.
- Demonstrable knowledge in I.T risk assessment and control concepts/methodologies.
- Skilled in negotiations and conflict management.
- Excellent oral and written skills; a strong verbal communicator, analytical writer and able to clearly and concisely convey observations of processes, risks and controls.
Remuneration: Competitive package covering a monthly salary, performance bonus and medical benefits reflective of the candidate’s experience and skills.
How to Apply
To apply, send an updated detailed copy of your CV and a cover letter expressing why you feel you would be an excellent candidate for the role to email@example.com with the subject EV-ISA-2089
Deadline for application is 5pm on Tuesday 23rd August, 2016.
M-KOPA Solar is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained staff. Women, minorities and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, M-KOPA does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and parenting status), disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or genetic information in its programs or activities, including employment.
M-KOPA, as a policy, does not collect/charge any money as a pre-employment or post-employment requirement. This means that we never ask for ‘recruitment fees’, ‘processing fees’, ‘interview fees’ or any other kind of money in exchange for offer letters or interviews at any time during the hiring process.
Due to the large number of applications received by us, we regret that you will not be contacted unless you are short listed for the post and invited for an interview. Therefore, if you have not heard from M-KOPA within 4 weeks of the date of the deadline your application, you should assume that you have not been successful on this occasion.
This measure has been taken in the interests of efficiency and cost effectiveness and we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.