Aug 10, 2016
Vacancy: Laboratory Specialist - Service Delivery
Location: Nairobi & Nyeri
Proposed Start Date: August 2016
Introduction: Maryland Global Initiatives Corporation (MGIC) is an affiliate of University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB).
UMB has a Global Health Program which is delivered through the Maryland Global Initiatives Corporation (MGIC) and housed by various institutes among them the Institute of Human Virology (IHV).
Since 2004, IHV has partnered with the governments of Kenya, Guyana, Haiti, Nigeria, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia to address each country’s growing HIV and AIDS epidemics.
The Institute has led efforts to build National Health Systems in each country via strategic international, national, and local collaborations through the design and implementation of unique education, training, and treatment programs addressing each country’s complex HIV/AIDS epidemics.
In Kenya, UMB through the Institute of Human Virology started operations in 2004 under the AIDS Relief Project consortium funded by Presidential Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) through HRSA/CDC.
This was the beginning of UMB’s work in Kenya which has seen implementation of 11 grants to-date.
MGIC is seeking a suitably qualified person able to fill the position of Laboratory Specialist-Service Delivery, under the Boresha Maabara Grant.
Boresha Maabara Grant: “BORESHA MAABARA” (improve laboratory services) is a five (5) year project funded through the US Government Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) under the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR).
The project seeks to enhance diagnostic testing for the prevention, surveillance and treatment of infectious diseases such as HIV and tuberculosis, and other HIV-related opportunistic infections.
The project is implemented jointly by the Ministry of Health, National Public Health Laboratory Services, National Blood Transfusion Service and the respective County Governments.
Position Summary: Under the supervision of Senior Technical Advisor, Laboratory Specialist-Service Delivery will facilitate strengthening of laboratory systems and practices in designated Counties for enhanced delivery of sustainable quality diagnostic services.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Facilitate adoption and uptake of relevant laboratory policies, service delivery guidelines and standards as appropriate.
- Support strengthening of laboratory infrastructure, equipment, logistics, and procurement systems for sustainable and quality services.
- Provide technical expertise and guidance in the expansion of access to quality laboratory services by strengthening tiered laboratory networks, and specimen referral for CD4, HIV early infant diagnosis (EID), HIV viral load, opportunistic disease detection, TB culture, and HIV/TB drug resistance.
- Support implementation of a quality improvement and data demand and information use framework aimed at improving County level capacity in reporting and utilization of data for enhanced service coverage.
- Provide mentorship/ coaching on improving functionality of manual and electronic laboratory management information systems to enhance linkage of laboratory data to patient care data systems.
- Support strengthening of biosafety, infection control, occupational health and safety, and medical waste management.
- Supports strengthening of Laboratory Quality Management Systems (QMS) ensuring QA/QC/EQC systems are functional.
- Relevant Bachelor of Science (Bsc) degree in laboratory sciences.
- At least five (5) years’ experience in supporting strengthening of laboratory systems and practices at County and Health Facilities.
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently, under pressure and to adhere to set deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to work with various government institutions, counties and local partners.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and report writing skills.
- Ability to work independently, under pressure while at the same time adhering to strict deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent analytical skills and problem solving skills.
- Innovative with a high degree of initiative
- Organizational skills
- Excellent Leadership & Presentation skills
How to apply
If you meet the above qualifications, you are requested to send your application and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 15, 2016.
Candidates are required to quote the title of the position being applied on the subject line of the email.
Only shortlisted candidate will be contacted.
Maryland Global Initiatives Corporation is an equal opportunity employer.