Sep 7, 2016
University of Maryland
School of Medicine
Vacancy: Biosafety / IPC / Injection Safety / HCWM / OSH Officer
Proposed Start Date: September 2016
Introduction: Maryland Global Initiatives Corporation (MGIC) is an affiliate of University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB).
UMB has a Global Health Program which is delivered through the Maryland Global Initiatives Corporation (MGIC) and housed by various institutes among them the Institute of Human Virology (IHV).
Since 2004, IHV has partnered with the governments of Kenya, Guyana, Haiti, Nigeria, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia to address each country’s growing HIV and AIDS epidemics.
The Institute has led efforts to build National Health Systems in each country via strategic international, national, and local collaborations through the design and implementation of unique education, training, and treatment programs addressing each country’s complex HIV/AIDS epidemics.
In Kenya, UMB through the Institute of Human Virology started operations in 2004 under the AIDS Relief Project consortium funded by Presidential Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) through HRSA/CDC.
This was the beginning of UMB’s work in Kenya which has seen implementation of 11 grants to-date.
MGIC is seeking a suitably qualified person able to fill the position of Biosafety / IPC / Injection Safety / HCWM / OSH Officer, under the Boresha Maabara Grant.
Boresha Maabara Grant: “BORESHA MAABARA” (improve laboratory services) is a five (5) year project funded through the US Government Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) under the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR).
The project seeks to enhance diagnostic testing for the prevention, surveillance and treatment of infectious diseases such as HIV and tuberculosis, and other HIV-related opportunistic infections.
The project is implemented jointly by the Ministry of Health, National Public Health Laboratory Services, National Blood Transfusion Service and the respective County Governments.
Position Summary: The position shall facilitate implementation and coordination of Biosafety, Infection Prevention Control (IPC), Injection Safety, Health Care Waste Management (HCWM) and Occupational Safety & Health (OSH) activities at National and in designated counties targeted by the project.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Participate in development and review of relevant policies/standards/guidelines on Biosafety IPC, Injection Safety, HCWM and OSH
- Facilitate adoption and uptake of relevant policies on Biosafety, IPC, Injection Safety, HCWM and OSH at County and facility level.
- Facilitate relevant trainings on Biosafety, IPC, Injection Safety, HCWM and OSH as may be required.
- Provide technical assistance and mentorship to counties and facilities in implementation of applicable standards/guidelines/SOPs on Biosafety, IPC, Injection Safety, HCWM and OSH.
- Support establishment and functioning of IPC committees at designated facilities to implement aspects of safety including prevention of blood borne pathogen transmission and TB infection control.
- Support implementation of a quality improvement and data demand and information use framework aimed at improving capacity in reporting and utilization of data for enhanced service coverage on IPC, Injection Safety, HCWM and OSH.
- Support implementation and surveillance of post-exposure prophylaxis
- Advocate for the uptake of Hepatitis B vaccination for all health workers
- Perform any other task related to Biosafety, IPC, Injection Safety, HCWM and OSH as may be assigned by the supervisor.
- Degree in health related sciences (Laboratory, Nursing, Clinical medicine, Public Health)
- Trainings in Biosafety, IPC, HCWM, Injection safety or OSH
- More than 5 years working experience in Biosafety, IPC, Injection safety, HCWM or OSH
- Registered with the relevant regulatory and association bodies
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently, under pressure and to adhere to set deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to work with various government institutions, counties and local partners.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and report writing skills.
- Ability to work independently, under pressure while at the same time adhering to strict deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent analytical skills and problem solving skills.
- Innovative with a high degree of initiative
- Organizational skills
- Excellent Leadership & Presentation skills
How to apply
If you meet the above qualifications, you are requested to send your application and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 14, 2016.
Candidates are required to quote the title of the position being applied on the subject line of the email.
Only shortlisted candidate will be contacted.
Maryland Global Initiatives Corporation is an equal opportunity employer.