Sep 26, 2016
Our client, Commercial Bank of Africa is a financial services provider licensed by the Central Bank of Kenya to offer financial service solutions and advice through innovative and reliable strategies.
The bank is seeking to recruit a highly ambitious candidate to fill in the following job position in their Nairobi office:
Employee Relations Manager
Reporting to the HR Operations Manager in the Human Resources department, the purpose of this role is to develop and maintain a conducive employee relationsenvironment through providing business with guidance on labour laws and practices, staff welfare, discipline and grievances issue as well as involvement in maintaining positive relationships with the Union.
The role is responsible for developing and ensuring consistent application of employee relations policies and procedures as well as monitoring of staff motivation levels with a view of promoting employee satisfaction.
Key Responsibilities & Percentage Time Spent
Employee Relations – 35%
- Contribute to the development and implementation of ER strategy across the bank in conjunction with the Group Head of HR and Senior Management Team.
Grievance and Disciplinary Management – 35%
- Manage the administration of all discipline/grievance issues as per discipline /grievance procedure.
Staff Satisfaction – 10%
- Manage and implement tools aimed at getting feedback from staff :
Separation/ Exit Management – 10%
- Work with the relevant work areas to ensure that all exits are done as per the Employment Act and company policy
Staff Welfare Activities - 10%
- Provide guidance to line managers on behaviour management and effective counselling to staff.
- Knowledge of Labour/Employment law and its practical application as well as a good understanding of the Bank’s Collective Bargaining Agreement between the local Union and Employer’s representative body
- Good awareness of the internal and external industrial environment.
- Knowledge of best practice employee involvement, employee relations and industrial relations.
- Strong negotiation and persuasion skills to effectively influence others in a way that results in acceptance, agreement or behavior change.
- Strong planning and organization skills to effectively managed ER processes and projects to achieve TAT and project delivery as scheduled.
- Excellent Oral and written communication skills for effective presentations, facilitation and report writing purposes.
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills to facilitate systematic and rational judgments based on relevant information.
- Counseling skills to effectively handle grievance issues and employees with unique personal or job related issues.
- Interpersonal sensitivity to interact with others in a sensitive and effective way. Respects and works well with others.
- Flexibility to successfully adapt to changing demands and conditions of ER landscape.
- Resilience to maintain effective work behavior in the face of setbacks or pressure. Able to remain calm, stable and in control of themselves in potentially emotional grievance handling and disciplinary situations.
- Knowledge and effective application of all relevant banking policies, processes, procedures and guidelines to consistently achieve required compliance standards or benchmarks.
Qualifications and Experience Requirements
- University degree and/or post graduate qualification in Human Resources Management or equivalent - Upper second class Honors or 3.0 GPA.
- Any additional qualifications in Employee or Industrial Relations would be an added advantage
- 5+ years’ experience in human resource management or a related discipline with at least 2 years’ experience specifically in labor and employee relations management
- Knowledge of current trends and practices in HR
- Proficiency in use of MS office tools.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are requested to forward their updated CVs to email@example.com with the subject EMPLOYEE RELATIONS MANAGER by 3rd October 2016 12:00noon stating their current and expected remuneration, daytime telephone contacts and addresses of three referees.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.