Sep 15, 2016
International Centre for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT)
Recruiting Communication Officer for IITA
IITA is an international non-profit research-for-development (R4D) organization created in 1967, governed by a Board of Trustees, and supported primarily by the Consultative Group of International Agricultural Research (CGIAR).
IITA’s R4D is anchored on the development needs of sub-Saharan Africa and develops agricultural solutions with partners to tackle hunger and poverty by reducing producer and consumer risks, enhancing crop quality and productivity, and generating wealth from agriculture.
CIAT, on behalf of IITA, is seeking for a Communication Officer to develop and implement communication activities under the African Cassava Agronomy Initiative (ACAI) project.
The Communication Officer will report to the Project Coordinator, ACAI, and will work closely with the Communication and Knowledge Exchange Expert of the Cassava Weed Management Project.
Main responsibilities include:
- Develop, coordinate and implement a detailed communication strategy and knowledge exchange plan for the African Cassava Agronomy Initiative project in close collaboration with project partners, Communication and Knowledge Exchange Expert of the Cassava Weed Management Project.
- Lead and support the capitalization of research findings in the project through regular reports and specific documentation in various output formats to maximize efficiency of reaching end-users
- Manage and ensure effective stakeholder relationships and knowledge exchange approaches by engaging in dialogue and using feedback mechanisms with project partners and beneficiaries.
- Manage project events, including press conferences, promotional events and exhibitions etc
- Set up, design and coordinate an online media platform on project results in close collaboration with the Communication and Knowledge Exchange Expert of the Cassava Weed Management Project, and liaise with software developers to ensure output of web applications are adapted to key needs of end-users
- Design, manage and disseminate an educational video documentation on the project
- Produce training and educational materials for extension services and rural populations
- Produce efficient communication materials (print and audio) adapted to the needs of cassava farmers
The candidate shall have the following competencies, skills and experience:
- Bachelor degree in communication or public relations or relevant field
- At least 2 years of working experience in communication field with proven record in digital media and/or digital communication.
- Excellent in writing, development and design of communication output such as briefs, newsletters, updates, infographics, presentations, reports, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to conceptualize web-based services for communicating research outputs, adapted to client needs or addressing specific problems expressed by end-users
- Good understanding of requirements for the development of software/apps to share information, including security, vulnerability and privacy requirements, and ability to discuss these with software developers.
- Good understanding of agriculture, poverty and sustainability issues in rural areas of Africa.
- Excellent communication and networking skills.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
Terms of employment: The position is nationally recruited, will be based at IITA Offices in Nairobi, Kenya.
The contract will be for two (2) years period, subject to a probation period of three (3) months, renewable depending on performance and availability of resources.
How to apply:
Applicants are invited to visit http://ciat.cgiar.org/ciat-jobs to get full details of the position and to submit their applications.
Applications closing date: 23rd September 2016
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.