Sep 18, 2016
Moi Teaching & Referral Hospital is the second national teaching and referral hospital serving the western Kenya and neighboring countries. It is the first public Hospital to be ISO 9001:2008.
We are seeking to engage a dynamic and results driven professional to fill each of the following position:
Medical Specialist I (Pathologist)
An officer at this level will report to Senior Assistant Director, Diagnostic Services in performance of his/her duties in the Hospital.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform autopsies to determine causes of death.
- Testify in depositions or trials as an witness
- Review cases by analyzing autopsies, laboratory findings, or case investigation reports.
- Manage medical laboratories.
- Develop and adopt new tests or instruments to improve diagnosis of diseases.
- Educate physicians, students and other personnel in medical laboratory professions such as medical technology, cytotechnology and histotechnology.
- Conduct research and present scientific findings.
- Plan and supervise the work of the pathology staff, residents and visiting pathologists.
- Identify the etiology, pathogenesis, morphological change, and clinical significance of diseases.
- Diagnose infections, such as Hepatitis B and Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS), by conducting tests to detect the antibodies that patients’ immune systems make to fight such infections.
- Conduct genetic analyses of deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) or chromosomes to diagnose small biopsies and cell samples.
- Write pathology reports summarizing analyses, results and conclusions.
- Analyze and interpret results from tests such as microbial or parasite tests, urine analyses, hormonal assays, fine needle aspirations (FNAs), and polymerase chain reactions (PCRs).
- Communicate pathologic findings to surgeons or other physicians.
- Consult with physicians about ordering and interpreting tests or providing treatments.
- Examine microscopic samples to identify diseases or other abnormalities.
- Diagnose diseases or study medical conditions using techniques such as gross pathology, histology, cytology, clinical chemistry, immunology, flow cytometry and molecular biology.
- Spearhead performance management in the department.
- Managing quality standards and procedures
For appointment to this post, a candidate must have:
- Masters of Medicine in Pathology.
- Bachelors Degree in Medicine and Surgery (MB.Ch.B)
- Diploma in Forensic Medicine Pathology
- Registered with Medical Practitioners and Dentists Board (MPDB).
- Specialist recognition certificate from the Medical Practitioners’ and Dentists Board.
- Must have current annual retention certificate (2016) from MPDB.
- Attended a Senior Management course lasting not less than four(4) weeks; and
- Shown competence and capability in work performance and maintain good personal and professional conduct;
- In addition to the above requirements the officer to attach the current:-
- KRA Certificate
- HELB Certificate
- Certificate of Good Conduct
- CRB – Credit Reference Bureau Certificate
- EACC Clearance
Salary Attached to the Scale
- Scale M4: Kshs 112,580 x 5,628 – 118,208 x 5,911 – 124,119 x 6,206 – 130,325 x 6,516 – 136,841 x 6,842 – 143,683 x 7,184 – 150,867p.m
Apart from the salary, there are other attractive allowances; and also a generous contributory pension scheme for jobs in scale M6 and M5.
Jobs in scales M4 and M3 are on three (3) years contract, renewable once for a further three (3) years subject to satisfactory work performance and retirement age.
Service gratuity calculated at the rate of 31% is payable at the end of each contract term.
How to Apply
If you are innovative, self-driven and results-oriented individual and you meet the above requirements, please send your application letter (six copies), detailed C.V, together with copies of your relevant academic/professional testimonials and three (3) referees whereby two (2) must be from your profession to:
Chief Executive Officer
Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital
P O Box 3-30100
So as to reach him not later than 12th October 2016 by 5:00pm.
Any lobbying/or canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.