Sep 6, 2016
Mercy Corps is a leading global relief and development agency saving and improving lives in the world’s toughest places. In more than 40 countries, we partner with local people to put bold ideas into action, help them overcome adversity and build stronger communities.
We help communities survive and move beyond emergencies. When natural disasters strike, economies collapse or conflict flares, Mercy Corps is there.
Working with communities, we leverage local logic to help people transform their lives to grow more food, earn higher incomes and ultimately advocate for their needs.
We see global challenges as an invitation to pioneer innovative, sustainable solutions.
Mercy Corps is looking for committed and dynamic individual to take up the following position.
Position: Area Manager – Kenya Election Violence Prevention and Response Program (KEVP)
Location: Kisumu County
Program / Department Summary: Mercy Corps implements high-quality, analytical development work in very difficult places.
We have been operating in Kenya since 2008 and are presently implementing development programs across the Central, Rift Valley, North Western and Northern Eastern regions of Kenya.
The Kenya Election Violence Prevention and Response Program (KEVP) will work to mitigate the risk of escalation of election-related violence in the lead up to, during, and immediately following the Kenyan elections scheduled for August 2017.
KEVP will shore up ongoing efforts of Kenyan civil society organizations, including student organizations, youth Bunges (parliaments) and the local private sector, religious groups, as well as current USG partners in Kisumu, Nakuru, Nandi, and when need arises, Nairobi, to ensure that youth and communities are able to remain resilient to political manipulation and ensure a peaceful election.
KEVP will work with these key stakeholders to create communications materials such as film to be used in workshop trainings and for public screenings.
The program will establish and strengthen existing local networks, including the 2013 Champions for Peace networks in Kisumu and Nakuru, establish county level Early Warning Early Response (EWER) Hubs, and link them to Uwiano platform, leverage different players and networks to preempt political manipulation by providing administrative and logistical support to enable them to monitor risks, and develop actionable plans for prevention and response.
General Position Summary: Under the direction of the Deputy Chief of Party, the Area Manager will be responsible for the overall planning and implementation of KEVP activities in the Kisumu and Nandi Counties in Western Kenya.
The Area Manager will directly manage the program staff based in Kisumu and take overall responsibility for the day to day running of the Kisumu office and work with the Deputy Chief of Party in Nakuru to ensure activities are implemented according to schedule, budget and required quality.
Essential Job Functions:
- Manage all activities related to the KEVP in Kisumu and Nandi as agreed with the Program with Chief of Party (COP) and the Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP), and in accordance with approved proposal, budget and timelines;
- Coordinate and share information with the COP/DCOP to ensure overall program targets and donor obligations are being achieved;
- Visit project sites regularly to provide appropriate technical assistance, monitor and oversee activities;
- Ensure full application of participatory methodologies like Participatory Learning and Action and Appreciative Inquiry in facilitation of community dialogue meetings, and trainings and workshops;
- Support the Project staff to establish a system to monitor and evaluate program activities and impact on an ongoing basis. Ensure that program monitoring is being done on a regular basis and that adequate monitoring reports are prepared;
- Act as the main liaison with relevant County government and IEBC officials and institutions, stakeholders and community members relevant to KEVP Program;
- Participate in peace, election and conflict-related coordination meetings and professionally represent Mercy Corps in these meetings;
- Support the development of partnerships with national and international NGOs, CBOs and other agencies involved in election conflict management initiatives and other Mercy Corps activities.
- Regularly meet with the COP/DCOP to discuss program achievements, especially when they deviate from the original plan;
- Participate in KEVP Team meetings as required;
- Work with the DCOP to organize and facilitate field visits for donors and Mercy Corps staff;
- In collaboration with the DCOP, monitor security developments and report to Mercy Corps Senior Management as per the Mercy Corps Kenya security procedures and protocols;
- Jointly prepare donor reports with the COP and other staff to capture program impact.
- Provide direct and ongoing supervision and managerial support to KEVP staff in the Kisumu office to ensure effective implementation of program activities in both Kisumu and Nandi;
- Oversee the development of program and staff work plans, and ensure regular one-to-one sessions and performance reviews to review progress and resolve any concerns or issues;
- Support and facilitate KEVP team development, encouraging active participation of team members and supporting positive relationships between members.
- Identify training needs and opportunities for KEVP staff to ensure that they have adequate resources to complete program objectives, and to enable learning and growth;
- Ensure that program staff have the necessary facilities and office equipment for the smooth functioning of the program;
- Maintain close cooperation with the Finance and Administration departments and other staff to ensure that the program is in full compliance with all the established operational, administrative and financial procedures;
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Other duties as assigned.
Supervisory Responsibility: Program Officers and Program Assistant
Reports Directly To: Deputy Chief of Party
Works Directly With: Chief of Party, Local implementing partners, Program partners, Government, IEBC, NGOs and CBOs in Kisumu and Nandi, HR and Finance teams
Knowledge and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in conflict management/peace building, social sciences or other relevant field. A Master’s degree is an added advantage;
- Minimum of five years’ relevant professional experience managing conflict management or other capacity building related projects preferably within NGOS;
- Experience in managing teams and facilitating planning and program development processes;
- Experience in both community level programming and government focused capacity building;
- Experience working in conflict environments is preferred;
- Experience working in the Western and Rift Valley regions, with strong contextual knowledge of the cultures therein;
- Excellent verbal communication, negotiating, organization and prioritization skills;
- Excellent quantitative skills and financial management knowledge is preferred;
- Leadership skills, and proven experience in developing effective teams;
- Strong organizational and managerial skills;
- Demonstrated problem solving skills;
- Demonstrated experience in coaching, conducting workshops and community meeting facilitation;
- Excellent written communication skills with demonstrated ability to develop and write quarterly reports independently;
- Experience in building and maintaining strong/productive relations with implementing and strategic partner agencies is preferred. This includes coordinating with government authorities and counterparts;
- Excellent computer skills, including all Microsoft applications;
- Demonstrated skills to successfully communicate and initiate and maintain positive relationships with beneficiary’s community
- Demonstrated cultural sensitivity and appropriate flexibility;
- Ability to effectively communicate with Mercy Corps target populations and partners;
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to meet deadlines, and work independently and cooperatively with team members;
- Willingness to travel frequently to remote locations;
- Ability to quickly learn and implement new information/concepts.
Interested candidates who meet the above required qualifications and experience should submit a cover letter and detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV) listing three professional references (including a recent supervisor) to email@example.com on or before Tuesday 20th September, 2016 by 4.00pm.
The email subject line must clearly show the job title and location they are applying for.
Applications without an appropriate subject heading will be automatically disqualified.
Please do not attach any certificates.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.