Sep 24, 2016
Pact is searching for an Assistant Engineer, based in Nairobi, with extensive field travel, to be responsible for the design, contracting, supervision and monitoring of peace dividend projects identified by the communities in both the Somali and Karamoja clusters.
Duties and Responsibility
Identification of Peace Dividends
- Working with PEACE III teams, local partners, and cross-border communities in the prioritization of viable peace dividends that can contribute to ongoing peace processes through a Participatory, Learning and Action (PLA) process.
- Support in identifying and strengthening Community Working Group (CWG) members to oversee and monitor the peace dividend activities
Design and Development of Peace Dividends
- Preparation of technical designs for the proposed peace dividends including drafting of technical drawings in AutoCAD software
- Preparation of Environmental Review Forms/Reports for the proposed peace dividends to mitigate against environmental damage and monitoring to ensure that the mitigation measures are implemented
- Preparation of Bills of Quantities for the proposed projects to estimate the cost of the projects
- Preparation of community contracting documentation and leading in the community contracting process to select the eligible contractors to implement the projects
Supervision of construction works
- Recruitment, training and supervision of site supervisors for the various peace dividend projects
- Supervise the peace dividend works to ensure compliance with the drawings and specifications and to recommend remedial measures once defects are identified
- Assessment of value of works done and approval of contractors’ interim and final payment certificates once the contractual milestones are attained
- Assessment of works after the end of the Defects Liability Period (DLP) and preparation of snag lists of works that are defective for remediation
Field Monitoring of completed Peace Dividends
- Travel to sites to monitor the continued use, and viability of peace dividend structures
- In collaboration with PEACE III team members and partners engage in discussions with local communities on the continued value of the construction.
Any other duties as may be assigned by Pact
Skills and Qualifications
The job holder must possess:
- A degree or a diploma in Civil Engineering
- A certificate in Environmental Impact Assessment/Audit is an added advantage
- A minimum of three years’ experience in design and supervision of civil engineering and building construction projects
- Community development work preferred
- Knowledge of participatory approaches to planning preferred.
- Proficient in AutoCAD and in MS Office software
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are advised to send an application letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line Assistant Engineer.
Deadline for applications: September 30th, 2016
Pact is an equal opportunities employer.