Oct 16, 2016
Vacancy: Senior Communications and Advocacy Officer (NEAR Network)
Organization: African Development Solutions - Adeso, www.adesoafrica.org & Network for Empowered Aid Response - NEAR www.near.ngo
Reporting To: Interim Network Director
Reporting To: Interim Network Director
Working With: Communications Department and Network Advisor
Program / Duty Station: Nairobi
Duration: One (1) year
Organizational Context: Adeso is an expanding and vibrant African based international development and humanitarian organization.
At Adeso, we work with African communities who are yet to realize their full potential; working inside these communities to create environments in which Africans can thrive.
Our belief that economic, social and environmental security is the bedrock of a healthy community drives the nature and intent of our programming.
We work to prevent and overcome situations that adversely affect community well-being by: reinvigorating the economy, developing skills for life and work, providing humanitarian aid, and influencing policy.
Near Network: Adeso together with other local and national NGOs have come together to form a global network which was launched in May 2016 at the World Humanitarian Summit in Istanbul, Turkey.
The network, NEAR (Network for Empowered Aid Response), is a movement of local organizations with a bold ambition – to reshape the top-down humanitarian and development system to one that is locally driven and owned, and is built around equitable, dignified and accountable partnerships.
Position Summary: The Senior Communications and Advocacy Officer will work closely with the Network Executive Director and the Network Support Officer in the next phase of its development, and namely, help promote the network as the leading platform through which local and national NGOs can convene to advocate for a more equitable and dignified humanitarian system.
Scope of Work
The Senior Communications and Advocacy Officer will:
- Implement a Communication and Advocacy strategy for the network
- Implement the branding strategy for the network
- Conceive, write up and present a yearly work plan to match the communications strategic objectives
- Prepare and develop relevant communication materials for the network. This includes writing, development and production of press releases, newsletters, articles, website pages, brochures, banners, posters.
- Ensure member engagement by adequately communicating to network members about the network’s initiatives and coordinate with members’ communication departments.
- Manage the network’s website, social media and newsletter. Ensure that the website and social media channels are up-to-date and engaging.
- Establish a regular flow of compelling stories – features, photo and video stories etc. - delivered across various communications channels, which bring to life the work of NEAR and its members.
- Organizing logistics and communication materials for the network events, workshops, trainings, conferences, and the general assembly.
- Manage contracts with vendors including drawing up terms of reference and contracts with the procurement department.
- Ensure visibility of NEAR in regional, national and international events
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with targeted online, print and broadcast journalists, editorial writers, bloggers and columnists, as well as other media influencers.
- Oversee monitoring of the current and future news agenda in order to identify and exploit communications opportunities, manage press enquiries and pursue opportunities for promoting NEAR network.
- Identify key advocacy meetings, working groups, conferences, consultations, donor fora, and events where the network’s members, leadership council and the executive director can advocate on behalf of the network.
- Oversee management of contact database for all network stakeholders.
- Any other duties as may be assigned.
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelors degree in Communications, Journalism, International Relations or Marketing. Bachelors degree in Business Administration or another related degree will also be considered with relevant work experience.
- Experience managing networks, communities of practice, or any initiatives that require extensive coordination.
- Excellent written communication skills up to publishing standards
- Experience in designing and executing advocacy campaigns
- Experience in events management
- Experience in dealing with vendors
- Familiarity with current development and humanitarian issues.
- Well-developed capacity for taking initiative.
- Cultural awareness and sensitivity to gender issues
- Excellent command of oral and written English.
- Excellent Organizational skills.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines
Please Note: This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the job and the general nature and level of work performed by job holders within this job.
However, this job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position.
If you would like to join the NEAR team, please submit your application to email@example.com with ‘Senior Communications and Advocacy Officer’ on the email subject line.
Application deadline: 27th October, 2016.
Your application should include the following documents:
- A detailed resume containing candidate’s qualifications and experiences
- Two writing samples
- An application letter which should include cover letter, remuneration requirements and contact information for three work-related referees.
Applications not including all of the above information will not be reviewed.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Adeso is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on one's background, beliefs, gender or sexual orientation.