Oct 28, 2016
Organization: Adeso -African Development Solutions
Position Title: Senior Finance Manager - REGAL-IR
Position Title: Senior Finance Manager - REGAL-IR
Reporting To: Chief of Party - REGAL-IR
Working With: All REGAL-IR Staff
Program / Duty Station: Nairobi
Duration: 1 year (Renewable)
Starting Date: Immediately
Organizational Context: Adeso is an expanding and vibrant African based international development and humanitarian organization.
At Adeso, we work with African communities who are yet to realize their full potential; working inside these communities to create environments in which Africans can thrive.
Our belief that economic, social and environmental security is the bedrock of a healthy community drives the nature and intent of our programming.
We work to prevent and overcome situations that adversely affect community well-being by: reinvigorating the economy, developing skills for life and work, providing humanitarian aid, and influencing policy.
For the past 20 years we have strengthened rural livelihoods through environmental awareness, training, technology transfer and innovative humanitarian projects in pursuit of a peaceful, self-reliant, and greener future. At present, Adeso has programs in Somalia, Kenya and South Sudan.
Adeso is an exciting and dynamic organization experiencing managed rapid growth. It offers sound employment conditions with opportunities for personal growth and development.
Project Summary: Resilience and Economic Growth in Arid Lands-Improving Resilience (REGAL-IR) is a 5-year program sponsored by USAID/Kenya and Feed the Future (Ftf) to reduce hunger and poverty, increase social stability and build strong foundations for economic growth amongst pastoralists and transitioning pastoralists in Kenya’s arid and semi-arid lands (ASALs).
The program is designed to empower communities to take charge of their development and to strengthen their capacity to select, design, implement and monitor activities toward increasing their social, economic, and environmental resilience to natural and human-induced shocks.
REGAL-IR is led by Adeso and is implemented by a consortium of partners. An intensive community engagement process - Participatory Learning, Planning and Action (PLPA) - guides program implementation in six thematic areas including diversifying livelihoods, improving value chain inclusiveness, natural resource management, conflict management and mitigation, disaster risk reduction, and improving nutrition.
REGAL-IR is based in Nairobi and implements projects in Isiolo, Garissa, Wajir, Marsabit, and Turkana Counties.
- Provide finance oversight and implementation of the REGAL-IR program.
- Supervise the Program Accountant (1) and line manage Field Accounts Assistants (5).
- Advise the Chief of Party (COP) on project finance and operational matters.
Position Summary: The Senior Finance Manager, REGAL-IR will be a full-time member of the REGAL-IR Leadership Team, working with the Adeso team in HQ, and the REGAL-IR field sites.
The post holder will develop and implement finance systems, protocols and tools for all finance, and administrative functions applicable to the project HQ in Nairobi and field offices in the project counties.
The Senior Finance Manager, REGAL-IR will be in charge of finance policies, procedures, and ensuring compliance with USAID rules and regulations in these areas.
He / She will liaise with Finance and Operations Managers at Adeso HQ to ensure compliance with Adeso policies and regulations and to ensure smooth functionality of finance.
Specific Roles and Responsibilities
- Plan and implement financial policies and systems ensuring consistency, accountability, transparency, viability and integrity in accordance with Adeso and USAID accounting principles.
- Ensure financial accounting records, monitoring, and internal controls.
- Ensure budget implementation, controls and reporting including forecasts, projections, accruals, funds requests, regular and ad hoc financial reports, variance analyses, and reconciliations.
- Manage audits of REGAL-IR including consortium partners.
- Planning and coordinating the activities of the REGAL-IR Finance unit by ensuring that the unit has adequate resources to effectively undertake its activities.
- Providing leadership to all field accounts assistants in the REGAL-IR project sites in regards to carrying out their daily tasks in an effective and efficient manner as per Adeso policies and procedures and USAID requirements.
- Coordinate the preparation and monitoring of budgets for all projects/program as per Adeso and Donor formats, on monthly, quarterly and annual basis.
- Ensure provision of timely and sound financial reports to the management, donor and other stakeholders on monthly, quarterly and annual basis.
- Represent REGAL-IR in various forums and be able to proficiently report on REGAL-IR activities effectively.
- Instituting organizational financial policies and procedures with the approval of the Chief of Party, identifying where there are gaps and ensuring compliance to the said policies.
- Responsible for all financial issues and correspondence on financial matters with partners, donors and government agencies.
Business Reporting and Donor Management
- Prepare annual operations plan for the REGAL-IR Program.
- Review, revise, update financial operations policies and procedures as and when required
- Supervise budgeting and program planning of REGAL-IR project partners.
- Manage the overall program cash flow.
- Oversees and manages the annual auditing process and liaises regularly with auditors (internal and external), donors and government agencies.
Compliance and Implementation of Policies and Procedures
- Ensure Financial Management in accordance with Adeso and USAID rules and regulations, including strategic management of objectives, resources, and risk.
- Ensure regular financial monitoring in the field /project sub offices are undertaken and any findings and recommendations are implemented in good time.
- Ensure the REGAL-IR is in compliance with statutory laws and legislations.
- Ensure full compliance with internal policies, donor regulations and budget restrictions on all projects.
- Oversee the performance management of all finance staff and undertake annual performance review of finance officers.
- Provide orientation and training to the all managers in the program on cost- effective management and Adeso’s financial policies and procedures.
- Ensure Identification of any capacity gaps and ensure any capacity building needs in the finance team are identified.
- Ensure the planning and implementation of capacity building activities for REGAL-IR finance staff and partners on timely and efficient manner.
- Mentor and develop REGAL-IR finance team and ensure staff develop competencies in the key functional areas.
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting from a reputable university. An advanced degree will be an added advantage
- Professional qualifications - ACCA, CPA or CIMA
- Minimum of 5 years work experience (with at least 3 years at Finance Manager Level) in a reputable large International NGO or donor organization involved in grant making.
- Substantial experience in managing USAID funds and ensuring compliance with USAID/US Government funding requirements.
- Ability and skills to establish compliance systems, present, discuss and supervise compliance with grants monitoring protocols with team members of varying levels.
- Strong understanding of risks, related relevant controls and effective mitigation of these; primarily in the overall grant cycle including program, financial and procurement cycles.
- High level skills in written Standard English and ability to transform documents and reports developed by program staff into disseminable standard documents.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain effective project files for accountability and audit purposes
- Experience of working in a HQ or large regional office setting.
- Ability to work as a team with program staff at all levels without holding any direct line management authority
This is a challenging opportunity for a dedicated and highly motivated professional.
If you would like to join this dynamic team, please submit your application to email@example.com, quoting the position in the email subject matter, by 7th November, 2016.
Kindly note that applications screening and interviews will be on a rolling basis.
Each application should be addressed to HR Director and include the following:
- An updated CV with updated contact details: Phone No., Email Address and Skype ID; and
- An application letter which should include cover letter, remuneration requirements and contact information for three work-related referees.
Applications not including all of the above information will not be reviewed.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Adeso is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on one's background, beliefs, gender or sexual orientation.