Oct 17, 2016
The Council of Governors (CoG) is established under Section 19 of the Intergovernmental Relations Act 2012 with the mandate to provide a mechanism for consultation amongst County Governments, share information on performance of the counties in execution of their functions, facilitate capacity building for governors, and consider reports from other intergovernmental forums on national and county interests amongst other functions (Section 20).
To enable the Council achieve its mandate and vision, the Council wishes to recruit results oriented individual with drive, vision and creativity to fill the following position:
Program Officer - Agriculture
Overall purpose of the job: The Program Officer - Agriculture will ensure that policies relating to Agriculture production and value chains, marketing and value addition are implemented effectively to to enhance agriculture and economic development.
Key duties and responsibilities:
Reporting to the Director of Programs, the Program Officer - Agriculture will be responsible for:
- Engaging in discussions and providing mechanisms for alignment of national policy and legislation to devolved system of government;
- Promoting inter- county coordination of the agriculture sector;
- Providing technical assistance in terms of information, research and policy analysis on County Governments across a range of policy issues targeting the development of agriculture infrastructure for increased accessibility to markets in all parts of the country and the world;
- Engage needs based dispute resolution mechanisms in the agricultural sector;
- Monitor the status of agricultural implementation under devolution;
- Mobilize resources to support the Agriculture Committee of the Council of Governors.
- Providing an effective research and knowledge management platform for sharing best practices in the agriculture sector to promote agriculture development;
- Review legislation and policies affecting the sector and making proposals for the benefit of the Counties interests, in close collaboration with stakeholders in the sector;
- Comprehensive communication on devolution in agriculture to all stakeholders;
- Coordinating, developing and consolidating collective county positions on agricultural matters;
- Providing a framework for increased investment in the agriculture sector; and
- Coordinating the participation of County Governments during local, regional and international learning activities on agriculture.
- Supporting the Water, Forestry and Mining Technical Committee
- Any other duty as may be assigned from time to time
Required Qualifications and Experience
The ideal candidate shall possess the following:
- Masters degree in Agriculture from a recognized university
- A degree in Agriculture from a recognized University
- Experience working on matters of agriculture in the context of devolution.
- Advance computer applications
- A 6 years’ experience with at least 3 years at senior level management
Languages: Fluency in English is required.
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms;
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience;
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services;
- Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
- Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter;
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives and concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
- Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of CoG.
- This position may be adjusted to a consultancy if that need is identified through the recruitment process.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment.
The contract duration is for three (3) years renewable annually subject to availability of resources and performance.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should send a CV, cover letter, copies of ID, certificates, testimonials, current and expected remuneration, names and addresses of three referees to email@example.com on or before Friday, 29th October 2016 and indicate the title of the position you are applying for in the subject of the email.