Oct 10, 2016
Vacancy: Research Assistant - IITA
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Research Assistant on behalf of International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) to be responsible for data curation and management of large volumes of diverse data from Phenotyping experiments across generations of crop breeding, genotyping platforms, sequencing and tissue culture for Banana and Cassava Breeding.
ILRI works with partners worldwide to enhance the roles that livestock play in food security and poverty alleviation, principally in Africa and Asia.
The outcomes of these research partnerships help people in developing countries keep their farm animals’ alive and productive, increase and sustain their livestock and farm productivity, find profitable markets for their animal products, and reduce the risk of livestock-related diseases www.ilri.org
ILRI is a not-for-profit institution with a staff of about 700 and in 2016, an operating budget of about USD83 million.
A member of the CGIAR Consortium working for a food-secure future, ILRI has its headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya, a principal campus in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, and offices in other countries in East, West and Southern Africa and in South, Southeast and East Asia www.cgiar.org
ILRI hosts the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) in Nairobi. IITA (www.iita.org) with its headquarters in Ibadan, Nigeria, works with partners throughout Africa and beyond to reduce producer and consumer risks, enhance crop quality and productivity, and generate wealth from agriculture
- Data curation and management
- Developing and maintaining data management systems
- Maintain coherent repository of Crop Information allowing public access and secondary use for predictive breeding and comparative biology
- Work in tandem with the Cassavabase, Musabase and Integrated Breeding Platform teams
- Define and implement data standards and best practices for Research Data Management by developing ontologies, phenotyping protocols, quality standards, Trait dictionaries, templates and fieldbooks
- Creating training modules and other modules and facilitating course delivery
- Bachelor’s degree in IT, Statistics or Bioinformatics from recognized University
- 1-2 years in Data Management
- Experience in developing data management systems for agricultural research
- Ability to work collegially and collaboratively in diverse, multicultural partnerships
- Familiarity with databases, commercial plant breeding software systems will be an added advantage
Terms of Appointment: This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position based at ILRI’s Nairobi campus. It is open to Kenyan nationals only. The position is on a 3-year contract, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funding.
Job Level: This position is job level 2C, ILRI offers a competitive salary and benefits package which includes; pension, medical and other insurances for ILRI’s Nationally Recruited Staff.
How to apply:
Applicants should send a cover letter and CV explaining their interest in the position, what they can bring to the job and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to the Director, People and Organizational Development through our recruitment portal http://ilri.simplicant.com/ on or before 18 October 2016.
The position title and reference number REF: RA/IITA/10/16 should be clearly marked on the subject line of the cover letter.
We thank all applicants for their interest in working for ILRI. Due to the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ILRI does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training). ILRI also does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
To find out more about ILRI, visit our websites at http://www.ilri.org/
To find out more about working at ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org/ilricrowd/
ILRI is an equal opportunity employer.