Oct 10, 2016
RFP for Consultancy Services to Offer Financial Training to Finance Managers of Various Dairy FBOs
TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries.
We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets.
Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs and wealth for their families and communities.
With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
For more information visit: www.technoserve.org
TechnoServe together with its donor John Deere is implementing the program “enhancing smallholder farmer’s livelihoods through enhanced knowledge and technology adoption”.
This is a three year program targeting 15,000 smallholder farmers in seven Counties (UasinGishu, ElgeyoMarakwet, TransNzoia, Nandi, Nakuru, Kericho and Bomet) in Kenya; and seeks to promote agricultural extension and training using among other forums a mobile training unit (MTU) to improve productivity, livelihoods and market access through integrated experiential training and capacity building in Dairy & Maize sub sectors.
The ultimate aim of the program is to sustainably improve the livelihoods of the 15,000 target farmers, primarily through significant increases in income.
By the end of the project period, it is envisaged that annual smallholders’ revenues from Maize, Dairy and Horticulture will have increased by $4M. A key pillar to the realization of this objectives is the role of dairy Farmers Business Organizations (FBOs), and their capacity to position and brooker value-add services of aggregating the business value of smallholder farmers within dairy and other related subsectors.
Of particular interest for this consultancy is the objective on Enhancement of Capacity of FBOs whch is to be realized by among other activities, facilitating the FBOs to sustainably set up commercillay oriented & sustaibnble input supply outlets – AgroVets.
TechnoServe has partnered with Oiko Credit to further enhance this process.
Oikocredit is a worldwide cooperative society which promotes global justice by contributing to the empowerment of disadvantaged people through credit. It also challenges individuals, churches and other groups to share their resources through socially responsible investments.
These investments are used for financing loans and equity participations in financial intermediaries (i.e. banking institutions, microfinance institutions and cooperative of savings and credit) and also in income generating projects (i.e. small and medium sized enterprises and cooperatives).
For more information visit (www.oikocredit.org).
In 2010, Oikocredit developed a strategy to invest more in agriculture. This came out of the realization that majority of poor people live in rural areas and most of them are involved in agriculture.
By targeting the agriculture sector, Oikocredit is likely to achieve its social mission of poverty reduction and improved quality of lives in rural areas
Towards the end of 2015 Oikocredit East Africa teamed up with Technoserve to support RDC in identifying potential Dairy farmers’ organizations that can benefit from Oikocredit loan.
Early in 2016 Oikocredit Kenya office and Technoserve Kenya office signed an MOU where Technoserve referred three potential Dairy farmers’ organizations.
The three Dairy farmers’ organizations have been assessed by Oikocredit and financial and non-financial needs have been identified. Technoserve and Oikocredit are carrying out various capacity building to address the gaps in the three dairies in which Agrovet has been identified as a key area.
Purpose: The ‘partnership’ seeks technical assistance from a qualified a consultant to provide financial training services to the Managers and Accountants of 3 Dairy Farmer Business Organisations.
Contract Type: This is a fixed-price contract for specified deliverables to one Consultant
Budget: The cost for the performance of work and production of deliverables will be based on the service provider’s financial proposal. The work is planned to be competed in 6 days. The Financial proposal should only include fees for one Trainer and one Rapporteur. The business service provider will not exceed the negotiated award amount.
Objectives and Key Deliverables
The objective of this assignment is to provide the participants with knowledge and skills in financial reporting and interpretation of financial reports.
This is aimed at building a strong financial structure, boosting the FBOs accounting control systems and using the financial reports to make sound decisions to run the business profitably and effectively.
The specific objectives of the training are as follows:
1. Equip the participants with key accounting competences and fundamental knowledge of financial reporting. Using case studies and practical examples, training to focus on:
- Ability to understand the statement of financial position (balance sheet), the income statement and cash flow statements
- Ability to identify key information in the notes to the accounts and in the management report
- Ability to analyze financial statements and evaluate business performance
- Capacity of critically assessing the company financial position, economic performance and cash flows
- Capacity of catching data and developing an informed judgment for investment decisions
2. Explain and demonstrate the characteristics of internal control procedures needed in the aggregation of accounting information.
- Demonstrate understanding of the purpose of internal controls
- Demonstrate understanding of principles of controls
- Analyse the relationship of technology and controls.
3. Explain the issues of ethics in financial accounting reporting
Key Deliverables (Outputs)
- With the support of the Business Advisor, lead/facilitate the financial training for the Managers and Accountants of 3 FBOs covering all specific objectives highlighted above.
- Develop a standard and simplified financial analysis template for the 3 FBOs
- Develop a standard internal control checklist for the 3 FBOs
- Develop a facilitation report that document progress, achievements, lessons and recommendations - if any
- Possess a degree in Finance and Accounting and must be a practicing Certified Public Accountant (CPAK).
- Demonstrate and have capacity to carry out adult training.
- Experience working with co-operatives and companies whose membership is above 1,000 with various revenue streams.
- Agribusiness knowledge of the dairy value chain and dairy polices that exist both at National and county level
- Diplomatic skills and ease working with dairy farmers
Place of Performance
The place of performance under this contract will be at a conference facility in Eldoret to be determined by TechnoServe and any other place necessary to complete the assignment.
Period of Performance
The assignment is planned to be accomplished within a period of 4 consultancy-days distributed as follows;
- One days preparation work including review and preparation of training tools
- Two days’ workshop training
- One days final report writing
The assignment is slated to happen within the month of October 2016.
The contract should cover consultancy fee and travel. Accommodation during the workshop days will be catered for by the Oiko Credit and Technoserve.
Experience of the firm
Experience of the firm in undertaking similar assignments and tasks in the past five years.
The CV’s of proposed team
The qualification and experience of the proposed team to undertake this assignment.
Suggested Approach, Methodology and work plan
Does the suggested approach meet the expectations of the project and fit within timescales. Does the suggested work plan have clear deliverables and does the facilitation techniques for the methodology fit with expectations
Total Points Available for Quality
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their consultancy application on or before 19th October 2016 through email@example.com copied to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate in the subject line: ‘’Financial Training for Finance Managers of Dairy FBO’s’’ and should include the following documents:
- Technical proposal indicating an understanding and interpretation of the RFP, methodology to be used in undertaking the assignment, work-plan with clear timelines for expected deliverables
- Profiles and CV’s of the person/team working on the assignment
- Financial proposal containing consultant’s daily rates in KES and proposed terms of payment
- State 3 referees of previous assignments done.
- State availability for the assignment