Nov 3, 2016
The Kenya Girl Guides Association (KGGA) is a member organization of the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts (WAGGGS).
KGGA is one of the largest youth Associations in Kenya. KGGA operates through a value based program and has a national membership of girls and young women representing every race, ethnicity, culture, class and religion in Kenya.
We are looking to fill the short term position of Public Relations & Advocacy Officer who will be reporting to the Programme and Training Manager, Kenya Girl Guides Association.
The position is short term for 6 months.
- Manage the development and delivery of outstanding creative media campaigns to:
- Encourage girls and volunteers from all backgrounds to join KGGA
- build awareness, understanding and engagement about KGGA among our key audiences
- Ensure our girl-led advocacy campaigns have a high media profile at a local and national level
- Challenge and change perceptions of Girl Guiding with KGGA’s key audiences.
- To ensure girls’ voices are at the forefront of KGGA’s media work and provide a programme of high-profile media opportunities for a wide range of girls in Girl Guiding to speak out in the media and via our digital channels.
- To lead a targeted journalist briefing programme, and an innovative programme of story and feature placement, to target our key audiences.
- To lead a proactive programme of media commentary on relevant issues in the public eye – injecting girls’ voices into issues affecting their lives.
- To lead KGGA’s strategy to identify, celebrate and promote inspiring examples of local and national social action.
- To work with the Interim Manager to deliver effective crisis communications, and issues of reputation management, when necessary.
- To work closely with:
- The Membership Officer to ensure our PR work actively supports our strategy to grow guiding and promotes inclusion.
- Programme and Training Manager to ensure KGGA’s programme and events are celebrated and promoted in a wide range of media.
- The Fund Development officer to maximize potential funding and partnership opportunities from media campaigns, and ensure our partnerships have the right level of PR support and engagement.
- To lead a bold and engaging advocacy, social action and campaigning strategy to give girls a voice on issues that they care about, empower them to make change and position KGGA as an expert on girls and young women’s views.
- To lead the development of KGGA’s work to encourage and empower more young members to take national and local social action, including campaigning and advocacy, and work with colleagues to promote and measure it.
- Performance Indicators
- To be agreed with Line Manager
- Bachelor’s degree marketing is an added Advantage.
- 5 Years work experience as a communication’s expert in NGOs
- Ability to work in a team or independently
- Extensive experience of developing and delivering excellent PR strategies to engage key audiences.
- Extensive knowledge of the Kenya media to ensure up-to-date knowledge and expertise and to identify trends and opportunities relevant to Girl Guiding.
- Excellent knowledge of, and engagement with, digital communications tools and social media, to ensure social media and other digital channels have been effectively integrated into all media and advocacy activities.
- Demonstration of creativity to achieve results using minimum resources
- Strong oral, written and comprehension skills
- Understanding of KGGA work
- Demonstrable experience of co-designing and co-delivering advocacy strategies.
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter illustrating your suitability for the position together with a detailed CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by 10th November 2016.
Indicate Public Relations & Advocacy officer in the Subject Line.
Late applications or hard copies will not be considered.
Please note: At no point in the entire recruitment process shall the candidate have to pay any money as a condition of engagement.
Only shortlisted candidates will have their applications acknowledged.
KGGA is an “equal opportunity organization” that is committed to hiring highly qualified individuals regardless of gender, religion, race, creed or marital status.