KEMRI/CDC Program is a collaborative program between Kenya Medical Research institute and the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention whose remit is to conduct research in malaria, HIV. TB, diarrhea, and other diseases.
The KEMRI/ CDC Field Research Station is a well-established research site equipped with an exceptional laboratory and trained staff to support existing and future HIV prevention and clinical research efforts, including clinical trials. The HIV-Research (HIV-R) Branch works closely with, and receives direction from, the Division of HIV and AIDS Prevention at CDC in Atlanta. The HIV-R Branch mission is to conduct biomedical and behavioral epidemiologic research to reduce HIV infection and disease progression
The KEMRI/CDC Field Research Station, and the HIV-Research Branch within it has the following opportunities for employment
1. Position: HIV Research Branch Chief: EPIDEMIOLOGIST/ MEDICAL OFFICER BASED IN KISUMU, KENYA
Opening date: 26AD9/2008 Vacancy No. K100/09/08
The Position Scope
Reporting to the KEMRI/CDC Field Station Director, as the HIV Research Branch Chief, you will initiate, conduct and coordinate complex HIV/AIDS epidemiological and biomedical research activities in Kisumu, Kenya, primarily related to HIV prevention and treatment research activities, including clinical trials
You will provide scientific and epidemiologic advice and consultation on HIV epidemiologic research in Kenya, You will serve as co-project officer for the KEMR I/ CDC Cooperative Agreement and will be conducting multiple studies involving clinical research, socio-behavioral science, laboratory research, informatics, and data management In addition, you will design and conduct special epidemiologic studies as warranted
You will also be responsible for developing protocols, analy2ing study data through statistical methods, and disseminating study results through scientific journals, periodic reports and public presentations
As the Branch Chief, you will serve as the Leader in the HIV Research branch; supervising staff made up of medical epidemiologists, public health advisors and clinical research and laboratory scientists. You will offer HIV research related leadership, direction and technical expertise to the Ministry of Public Health, non¬governmental organizations, universities, medical institutions and other agencies You will have ample opportunity to collaborate with other KEMRI/CDC scientists conducting multiple studies involving clinical research, socio-behavioral science, laboratory research, informatics and data management.
Must be a Medical Officer with MPH (epidemiology specialization), or PhD in epidemiology
Research project results as supported by publications in reputable journals At least 6 years post graduate research experience, with demonstrated capability to design and conduct comprehensive studies to identify and propose interventions/solutions.
Knowledge and demonstrable skills in a. wide range of qualitative and/or quantitative methods to develop data collection tools and review, evaluate, survey, and improve domestic or international scientific public health program operations
Knowledge of and demonstrated ability in team management techniques to plan organize, and direct multi-disciplinary project teams and activities Knowledge of oral communication techniques to serve as Branch and Field Station and CDC-Atlanta representative and present findings and deliver briefings, explain and justify recommendations, and negotiate solutions to disputed recommendations
Demonstrated ability to write and publish scientific papers through peer reviewed journals
Knowledge of written communication techniques to prepare reports used as the basis for key-executive-level management decisions; legislative proposals, policies, responses to inquiries; reports, marketing/outreach material, and other comparable documents
Knowledge of interpersonal relationship skills to establish and maintain effective and diplomatic working relations and secure support and cooperation.
CLOSING DATE FOR RECEIVING THE APPLICATIONS FOR THE ABOVE POSITION: 25th OCTOBER 2008
2. RESEARCH OFFICER (STUDY COORDINATOR) MR 11 (JOB GROUP P)
Opening date: 26/09/2008 Vacancy No. K100ro9/08
Job Summary: The job holder will be responsible for day-to-day implementation and co-ordination of the assigned research project, under the guidance of the study PI. This position will require up to 75% field work
- Masters Degree in public health or relevant field preferred.
- Medical Officer or other relevant Bachelors degree holder with three or more years of experience in clinical research will be considered.
- Minimum of 3 years of work experience in public health and HIV research and/or coordination preferred.
- Fluency in English and Kiswahili (oral and written)
- Able to be based in Kisumu with up to 75% of the time in the field
- Strong computer skills
- General knowledge of epidemiology of HIV/AIDS required
- Strong organizational, leadership and management skills required
Opening date: 26/09/2008 Vacancy No. K101/09/08
JOB SUMMARY: The program officer will be based at Kisian Field Station, Kisumu, and will be responsible for coordinating administrative activities for the HIV Research Program, including accounting, procurement, and personnel issues, with some travel to the program areas
- Bachelors degree in Business Administration, Management, Finance, or equivalent discipline
- Minimum 2 years of relevant work experience in administration, project management, business or closely related field, with financial responsibilities.
- Strong writing and communication skills in English and Kiswahili
- Proven leadership, management, interpersonal, decision making and analytical skills.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Proficiency in computer usage, especially Microsoft packages
4. MEDICAL OFFICER MR 10 (JOB GROUP N)
Opening date: 26/09/2008 Vacancy No. K102/09/08
JOB SUMMARY: Provides overall medical supervision of clinical activities, including supervision of clinical officers and nurses providing care and treatment to study participants
- Degree in clinical Medicine (MD or MB Chb or equivalent)
- Proficiency in written and verbal English, fluency in Kiswahili
- Minimum of 2 years clinical experience in out-patient/in-patient settings
- Registered with the Kenya medical Board
- Able to be based in Kisumu with up to.75% of the time in the field
- Excellent writing skills
- Proven ability to work well with the public and in a team
- Must be flexible to work within the existing structure
- Experience in research including clinical trials is an advantage
Opening date: 26/09/2008 Vacancy No. K103/09/08
LOCATION: ASEMBO DISTRICT, NYANZA PROVINCE
Job Summary: Reporting to Study Coordinator and/or Medical Officer, the individual will be responsible for coordinating the clinical activities of the HIV clinical trial in Asembo District, training and supervising nurses, ensuring quality control of all samples-taken and correct recording, storage and delivery of samples.
- Diploma in clinical medicine
- Two years of clinical research experience including supervision in a Community base research study
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Fluency in English, Dholuo and Kiswahili (written and oral)
- Ability to work well with members of the public and in a team
- Ability to write reports, keep records and handle situations effectively
- General Knowledge of HIV/AIDS Willing to work weekends/holidays.
- Willing to live and work in Asernbo District. Nyanza Province, with initial work in Kisurnu
Opening date: 26/09/2008 Vacancy No. K104/09/08
LOCATION: ASEMBO DISTRICT, NYANZA PROVINCE
JOB SUMMARY: The nurse counselor will report to the Study Coordinator and Medical Officer, while working closely with the field staff, pharmacy staff and laboratory staff. The nurse will recruit participants into the study, guide participants smoothly through study procedures, assist in proper follow-up of participants, and ensure the accuracy of data collected for the study.
- Registered Nursing Officer with a Kenya Registered Nurse certificate or Public health nurse with Diploma in Public Health Science Additionally, must have training in HIV counseling and testing including DTC or VCT or DCT
- Three years of working experience
- Proficiency in written and verbal English
- Fluency in Kiswahiii and Dholuo
- Must have strong interpersonal, communication, and listening skills
- Must be able to work in a professional and ethical manner with competence,
- accountability, and integrity.
- Clear handwriting
- Must be willing to live and work in Asembo district
Opening date: 26/09/2008 Vacancy No. K99AD9/08
JOB SUMMARY: Manage data from all HIV/AIDS epidemiological research including clinical trials, prospective cohorts, and cross-sectional studies. The incumbent will develop an in-depth understanding of each study's design, goals, and implementation so that they can participate fully in the successful execution of the study.
- Bachelors' degree in statistics, computer science, information technology management with a technical minor, public health/medical with technical training, or related field required
- Minimum of 2 years data management experience required
- Two years clinical trials experience and/or field experience with data collection preferred
- Ability to design/develop computer databases. SAS/SPSS/STATA programming for data manipulation/report writing, production processing, and storage of forms, and documentation skills.
- Ability to organize accurate and efficient workflow. identifying and resolving potential or current data problems
- Good judgment in problem solving, awareness of own limitations, and strong internal motivation essential
Remuneration: Compensation is negotiable within a relevant grade, based on education levels, relevant experience and demonstrated competency The salary scheme is based on the KEMRI scales plus supplemental amounts.
If you believe you have the required profile of any of the above listed positions, please send your application by 9th October 2008. Applications should include the following:
A letter of motivation (indicating vacancy number)
3 letters of reference
Current Resume or CV, with names and contact information (telephone and e-mail address)
Copies of Certificates and transcripts
TO The Human Resources Manager,
P.O. BOX 1578, 40100,
or e-mail to recruitment @ Ke.cdc.gov
Internal candidates interested in applying for this position are strongly advised to access an internal candidate application form available in the CDC intranet, print and process it through the project Managers and attach it before forwarding application to HR.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted