Job Profile: Chief Librarian
Location: Kiambu County
The Chief Librarian would need to Job Description:
- Provide strategic direction and leadership in advancing the Institute’s teaching and research mission through the adoption of emerging technologies and sound fiscal management. Library activities include leading the review, formulation and implementation of progressive library policies, practices, initiatives and processes to support the Institute’s mission and goals and meet its vision and objectives.
- Ensure cost effectiveness in all aspects of library operations.
- Generate innovative ideas; assume leadership in areas of acquisition, dissemination, and preservation of knowledge; develop and implement a vision for the library in support of school strategic plan and build a strong and effective team within the library; strengthen communication and information flow between the library and School community, manage the library’s multifaceted operations strategically.
- Work towards building positive and compelling workplace culture at the Resource Centre. This includes the Libraries in Kindergarten, Junior and Senior Schools.
- Supervise Assistant Librarians, Senior Executives, students and other members of staff of the School.
- Role & Responsibilities:
- Develop effective print and electronic resources, services, facility, and manage budget and human resources.
- Manage a complex physical and virtual environment to deliver information services and preserve information in all formats.
- Plan and arrange to provide course integrated and stand-alone library instruction sessions for individuals and groups.
- Create career paths for the library staff.
- As an outreach effort, lead the function of marketing the library’s print and electronic resources and provide services to the community by responding to changing information needs.
- Develop and provide personalized and web-based services to the community.
- Meet with faculty to plan and develop classes, assignments, and activities for course integrated library instruction.
- Build cooperative relationships with all staff on campus as an advocate for the library.
- Serve as an advisor on all aspects relating to library operations.
- Degree/Diploma in Library and Information Science or Information Specialist
- Should have more than 8 years of service in a leading National and International Libraries/Resources Center serving a large audience in various disciplines.
- In addition to Library and Information Science, a candidate having knowledge of management, marketing and implementation of services using Information Technology tools may be preferred.
- To have worked in a learning Institution and familiarity with the upcoming Curriculum Reforms in Education Sector.
How to Apply
Applications quoting the position title with detailed CV, with contact details of 3 referees (1 of which should be immediate, 1 former supervisor and any other) should be submitted to: [email protected] on or before 29th July 2016
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
NB: Please clearly indicate on the subject line as ‘Chief Librarian’