Grounds for Health
The organization: Grounds for Health (GfH) is an international NGO dedicated to reducing the burden of cervical cancer among women in developing countries.
GfH is focused on secondary prevention of cervical cancer: developing systems that deliver screening and preventive therapy to underserved women in Africa and Latin America.
GfH’s founders were a coffee entrepreneur and an obstetrician-gynecologist, and GfH has retained strong ties to the specialty coffee industry.
GfH works in close partnership with Ministries of Health, local and international NGOs and coffee producer organizations, as well as international technical and funding agencies and large and small coffee companies.
Over 20 years, GfH programs have strengthened service delivery capacity in Mexico, Guatemala, Peru, Nicaragua, Tanzania, Ethiopia and Kenya.
The organization has a small head office in Vermont, USA.
For further information, visit www.groundsforhealth.org.
The Program Manager will oversee development and implementation of cervical cancer screening and treatment activities in Ethiopia, Kenya and possibly other countries.
He/she will recruit, supervise and develop in-country teams responsible for nurturing partnerships with Ministries of Health and other stakeholders, training healthcare workers and community health volunteers, catalyzing and supporting service provision, monitoring performance and adjusting approaches accordingly.
The Program Manager will report to the President/CEO of Grounds for Health and work closely with the Clinical Director, Administrative Manager and Vice President for Development and Communications.
The position may be based in East Africa or the USA and is expected to require up to 40% travel.
The Program Manager will:
- Develop and maintain effective partnerships with Ministries of Health, at local and national levels, and with other NGOs and community-based organizations.
- Support and supervise field staff to maximize program results, working with them to develop, monitor and adjust work plans and to identify and resolve both tactical and strategic challenges.
- Identify and capitalize on opportunities to develop the program and improve performance, including through innovative approaches to service delivery and new technical or funding partnerships.
- Work closely with the Clinical Director to ensure quality of care throughout the program.
- Ensure timely and consistent implementation of performance monitoring systems.
- Participate actively in the development, implementation and review of Grounds for Health organizational plans and strategies.
- Develop and carefully manage budgets and expenditures.
- Take the lead in preparation of reports and proposals.
- At least 4 years’ experience in healthcare delivery in developing countries. Knowledge and experience of reproductive health in general, and cervical cancer secondary prevention in particular, is desirable but not essential.
- Demonstrated understanding of public sector health systems and ability to develop effective working relationships with Ministry of Health staff at all levels.
- Master’s degree in public health or similar educational qualification. Clinical qualifications and experience in reproductive health are desirable but not essential.
- Demonstrated aptitude for project and program management: proposals, work plans, budgets, monitoring and reporting.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English; fluency in Swahili and/or Amharic would be helpful but is not essential.
- Ability to function effectively both in a team and independently, and to represent GfH effectively in a range of contexts.
- Proficiency with MS Word and Excel.
Conditions: Grounds for Health offers competitive salary and benefits, including paid leave, pension plan and health insurance.
Grounds for Health is committed to being a results-driven, dynamic and collaborative organization that offers ample opportunities for personal growth and professional development.
To apply, send a CV and a cover letter to [email protected]
The cover letter should complement the information in the CV and explain why the candidate would excel in this position.
It should also specify the candidate’s availability and current and expected salary.