Vacancy: Business Officer - Environment (Mombasa)
Our client is an association of Christians who invest in people living in poverty around the world so they can unleash their potential to earn a livelihood to provide for their families and enrich their communities.
The Business Officer - Environment will be reporting to the M&E Specialist and works closely with other Business Officers based in various regions in Kenya. Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
This position will based in the field, located in the M-SAWA project County-Mombasa coordinating the organization’s work along the LAPPSET and Northern Transport Corridors and nearby counties.
The Business Officer (BO) will live in the relevant county, for close monitoring of project activities, and travel as authorized by supervisor, with clear trip plan, budget and deliverables.
The Business Officer- Environment (BO) will implement environment strategies and report progress as part of donor reports and to MEDA team members and management as need working closely with HQ and M&E team.
Job Purpose: Identifying and collaborating with relevant environmental organizations, implementing the enviro strategy including designing activities and/or identifying partners to provide capacity-building, business development, etc., that focuses on environmental sustainability/management, tracking implementation of activities and supporting the M&E team in monitoring progress to targets, draft reports, identify and engage external consultants to conduct environmental research and oversee as appropriate, ensure project team is supported in any environmental mainstreaming activities, contributing to reports and work planning as required.
- Ensure environment quality in project activities per project framework.
- Ensure Environmental sustainability is mainstreamed in Lead Firm proposed project .
- Further research on new developments and concerns on environmental sustainability in the private sector engagements in all three sectors in Year 2 of the project, as relationships with collaborating partners are secured and the rolling baseline survey takes shape.
- Identify and engage collaboration with Kenyan organizations that focus on Environment and Green growth development to ensure M-SAWA project operates in tandem with current environmental concerns, e.g. NEMA, KCIC, etc
- Advice the SMEs/Lead firms on appropriate environment certifications, those required by the Kenyan law and others that would improve their business sustainability.
- Contribute to assessing concept notes, grant awards and MOU’s/contracts for Lead Firms to ensure that environmentally sustainable and criteria are met.
- Draft donor reports sections entailing environmental issues and implementations pointing out to some key environmental.
- Provide inputs on the Due Diligence process in terms of environmental compliance as far as the SME/Lead Firms is concerned , paying attention to the present situation and their proposed initiatives, giving guidance for corrective measures as needed.
- Seek support from HQ Environment Specialist and local short term experts to offer environment training to SMEs/Lead Firms.
- Track the delivery of environment activities as per the annual work plan and support the M&E specialist in measuring progress on environmental indicators as require
- Collaborate in writing annual work plan.
- Track all environment indicators for the project.
- Lead the implementation of the Environmental Sustainability strategies
- Any other tasks as may be assigned by the line manager or management.
- A MBA or postgraduate degree in Environmental Science or Business related course with training on Green growth or environmental integration in projects or SMEs or M & E experience
- A minimum of five years’ experience in environment roles in an organization implementing environmental programs with focus on private sector/SMEs
- Ability to analyse complex data, M&E knowledge added advantage, Performance Management framework and Logic models familiarity.
- Understanding of: business decision-making in competitive market environments; inclusive subsector development and value chain development facilitation methods.
- Sector experience in any of the 3: agriculture/agribusiness, construction and extractives sectors
- Excellent report writing and review skills.
- Fluency in English and Swahili is required.
- Willingness to travel 60% of the time to the project areas for project monitoring.
- Prior work experience in Kenya is preferred and other comparable country context is desirable.
- Appreciation and support of MEDA’s faith, values, mission and purpose.
- Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Competencies & Skills
- Communication skills
- Keen eye for detail
- Leadership skills
- Initiative and creative
- Customer service
- Interpersonal and team player skills
- Strategic and analytical thinking skills
- Problem Solving skills
- Aggressive, assertive and adaptable
- Business Acumen
How to apply:
If you are interested in the position and have the skills and talents our client is looking for, we would like to hear from you through our vacancy page on [email protected] by the 17th August 2016.
Only successful candidates will be contacted.