Early Learning in Private and Public Pre-Primary and Primary Schools (Kenya)
Position: Senior Field Officer
Deadline to Apply: Rolling basis
Start Date: September 5th, 2016
Location: Based in Nairobi, Meru, Oyugis or Busia
Reporting To: Assistant Field Manager and Field Manager
Length of Commitment: 1 month, with possibility of extension
Eligibility: Position open to local Kenyan hires only
About Innovations for Poverty Action: Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a non-profit research organization that creates and evaluates approaches to solving development problems.
IPA disseminates the results of its evaluations to policymakers, practitioners, investors and donors around the world.
About the project: Early Learning in Private and Public Pre-Primary and Primary Schools (Kenya) project will compare will compare learning outcomes in low cost private schools relative to other available options in the vicinity.
There is tremendous growth and innovation in the low cost private school market and this project aims to use a randomized controlled trial to better understand the effectiveness of such schools relative to public school options.
The Principal Investigators for this project are Anthony Keats (Wesleyan University), Michael Kremer (Harvard University) Isaac Mbiti (University of Virginia) and Owen Ozier (World Bank).
Innovations for Poverty Action is currently preparing for local education market, with data collection to begin in September 2016.
About the Position: The Senior Field Officer will play a central role in the study’s success and will gain valuable experience in leadership in the field, data collection and representing the study to various partners.
Through their work, the Senior Field Officer will assist the research team with community entry and interacting with School Head Teachers; he/she will be responsible for daily logistics and will represent the project in meetings with local chiefs, local authorities, Head Teachers and other partners.
- Arrive to work promptly and reliably, always setting an example for one’s colleagues.
- Interact with community members with the highest level of integrity and understanding.
- Collaborate with teammates to improve own skills and those of teammates.
- Relay field costs to senior field manager and research associate for reimbursement.
- Organize transport and ensure punctuality for all appointments.
- Provide feedback to research associate.
- Assist in the development and translation of questionnaires.
- Coordinating with School Headmasters to schedule appointments.
- Assist in the management of data collection activities: turning over data to Research Associate.
- Supervisory and management experience related to field work and data collection.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Experience in training staff to improve data collection efforts and their accuracy.
- Demonstrated Excel abilities.
- Mastery of English, and Swahili.
- Bachelors’ degree or college diploma with 3 years’ experience
- Experience supervising data collection activities
- Computer programming.
How to Apply:
CLICK HERE to apply online
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the Senior Field Officer - Early Learning in Private and Public Pre-Primary and Primary Schools (Kenya). The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant.