The National Empowerment Network of People living with HIV/AIDS in Kenya (NEPHAK) is a national network that unites people living with HIV (PLHIV) and those affected by TB and AIDS through community based organizations and non-governmental organizations including PLHIV networks.
NEPHAK works in partnership with line government structures and like-minded civil society organizations to improve community health in Kenya.
NEPHAK is currently looking for qualified professionals to join its team for the implementation of the Global Fund to fight AIDS, TB and Malaria (GFATM) HIV - Project with the Kenya Red Cross Society as the Principle Recipient in partnership with the Ministry of Health in Kakamega County.
A qualified and experienced professional is being looked for to join NEPHAK team in the following position:
The position is responsible for providing overall leadership in design and effective implementation of the KP program.
S/he ensures effective and efficient Program development, implementation, and management (including operations and administration) of the projects in the target areas.
The incumbent will work in close collaboration with SMT to articulate both organizational and program Policy & guidelines.
The position also provides overall technical and programmatic oversight for all activities implemented through direct or indirect support which includes responsibility over project design, implementation, monitoring and ensuring quality in delivery of services.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
R1. Strategic Management
- T.1 Support the development and implementation of the Network’s strategic plans.
- T.2 Spearhead and oversee the development and implementation of strategies that support program work in NEPHAK in accordance with the results based management (RBM), including monitoring and evaluation (M&E).
- T.3 Facilitate the development of annual operation plans, work and activity plans, management plans and budgets and controls.
- T.4 Manage the development, implementation, monitoring and control of budgets of the function and ensure prudent financial management and effective use of resources allocated for use in implementation of program activities.
- T.5 Create a positive and enabling working environment to support effective implementation of Program activities.
- T.6 Provide regular updates to the Senior Management Team on Program implementation issues, technical insights and direction.
- T.7 Provide technical support in programs management both to NEPHAK SMT.
- T.8 Synthesize lessons and experiences for continuous improvement of program approaches and methodologies within NEPHAK and affiliates to support shared learning.
R2. Program Management
- T.1 Manage the overall technical program planning, implementation, quality assurance and monitoring of field activities.
- T.2 Facilitate development, implementation and periodic review of Program standards, policies, systems and procedures.
- T.3 Ensure compliance with NEPHAK’s guidelines, policies and procedures on program implementation, management and administration.
- T.4 Develop systems to ensure effective provision of quality program interventions.
- T.5 Provide technical and managerial direction to Local Implementing Partners in the design, development and implementation of community initiatives.
- T.6 Coordinate strategic intervention in NEPHAK’s key thematic areas of focus.
- T.7 Support supervision, leadership development, mentoring and capacity building to staff, local implementing partners, and community volunteers.
- T.8 Ensure that program implementation activities are undertaken in accordance with terms and conditions stipulated in funding contracts.
- T.9 Ensure timely submission of quality program periodic reports.
R3. Resource Mobilization
- T.1 Participate in resource mobilization efforts to identify opportunities and lead proposal development in consultations with the Executive Director and the Resource Mobilization Unit.
- T.2 Ensure that programs and projects have adequate funding.
- T.3 Support the development and execution of fundraising plans including the identification of resource requirements.
- T.4 Proactively scout for new funding avenues, research on funding sources, and establish strategies to approach funding agencies.
R4. Relationship Management
- T.1 Develop and maintain productive relationships including representation in relevant forums and meetings with key stakeholders (e.g. community, government department and agencies, other NGOs, private sector organizations, foundations, and partners) from local, county, national level and international levels.
- T.2 Present a strong positive image of NEPHAK and its values to program beneficiaries, regulatory bodies, other stakeholders and the public in general.
- T.3 Maintain good public relations, networking and collaboration with other like-minded organizations.
- T.4 Represent NEPHAK in meetings with key partners to advocate and promote NEPHAK goals and objectives, communicate on organizational policies and maintain and strengthen relationships.
R5. Monitoring and Evaluation
- T.1 Ensure the organization maintains effective monitoring and evaluation systems.
- T.2 Monitor program implementation through regular contact and field visits.
- T.3 Ensure effective collation of data and information for timely program progress and implementation reports.
- T.4 Ensure maintenance of appropriate database systems for monitoring and evaluation.
- T.5 Coordinate baseline surveys, studies, external assessments and evaluations and use findings to improve program management.
R6. Quality Assurance and Learning
- T.1 Provides technical assistance through research, documentation, review and/or writing technical and best practices.
- T.2 Ensure high standards are achieved in the design and implementation of all programs and projects and they uphold NEPHAK’s values, strategies, and guidelines.
- T.3 Facilitate regular training to staff and affiliates on information management and shared learning initiatives.
- T.4 Facilitate the documentation and dissemination of case studies, best practices and lessons learnt in program implementation both in the organization and with affiliates.
- T.5 Encourage sharing of learning and experiences within the program team, across the organization and affiliates.
- T.6 Facilitate forums for dissemination and sharing of information and experiences for the organization and affiliates.
R7. Management of Staff
- T.1 Responsible for line management of staff in the function.
- T.2 Provide guidance and direction to supervised staff and ensure that they work in an environment that encourages teamwork, efficiency and excellence in service delivery and build good relationship with the other functions in the organization.
- T.3 Maintain an effective, committed, and motivated program team and that staff issues are addressed in a timely manner.
- T.4 Ensure effective supervision of staff, and timely handling of grievance and disciplinary issues.
- T.5 Undertake periodic performance evaluation of supervised staff.
- R8. Carry out any other duties and responsibilities which may be assigned by the Executive Director and SMT from time to time.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: (The knowledge, skills and abilities may be acquired through a combination of formal schooling, self-education and prior experience or on-the-job-training).
a. Level of Education:
- A Bachelor’s degree in any of the following disciplines: Development, Social Sciences, Sociology or any other relevant fields.
b. Specialized Training / Professional Qualifications
- Post graduate diploma in project management, monitoring and evaluation or development studies, or any other related field.
c. Competencies / Abilities / Skills Required
- Good knowledge of financial management including budgeting.
- Supervisory, strategic planning & proposal writing experience necessary.
- Strong interpersonal and public relations skills.
- Strong team orientation.
- Strong computer skills.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Conversant with HIV/AIDS Programs.
- Strong skills in monitoring and evaluation.
- Experience in working with People Living with HIV and Key population.
d. Job experience:
- At least three (3) years in a similar position in a development organization. Work experience in economic empowerment and HIV/AIDS programs is an added` advantage.
NEPHAK Working Conditions
The positions involve frequent travel by the jobholder to visit member organizations and project sites and the travel may at times involve exposure to adverse weather conditions and difficult circumstances.
There may be periods that require the jobholder to work odd hours when necessary to meet deadlines or respond to specific situations.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send an Application Letter and CV to
NEPHAK National Secretariat,
3rd Floor, Wood Avenue Court, Wood Avenue,
off Lenana/Argwings Kodhek Roads.
P. O. Box 75654 00200
and/or email: [email protected]
(indicate clearly the position applied for in Subject line of the email)
by Friday 26th August 2016.
NEPHAK is an equal opportunity employer.
Only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted.