Job Title: Senior Agricultural / Value Chain Advisor
Reports To: Chief Executive Officer
Job Description: Tusker Mattresses Limited (Tuskys) is seeking a candidate for a Senior Agricultural / Value Chain Advisor to link it with youthful smallholder producers of various agricultural products.
Project Summary: Tuskys Supermarket intends to support small-scale agricultural production by providing direct market linkage to decrease poverty through its ‘Youth in Agriculture’ initiative.
This is aligned with the Kenyan Government’s goal of raising incomes, increasing food security, and decreasing malnutrition through:
A. Improved agriculture productivity and profitability of small farm production systems for targeted value chains.
- Availability, affordability and accessibility of agricultural inputs enhanced.
- Producer organizations supported and strengthened.
- Availability of productivity enhancing technologies and practices enhanced.
- Access to quality extension or advisory services improved.
B. Strengthened linkages and competiveness of market systems for targeted value chain products.
- Competiveness strategies for selected value chains developed and implemented.
- Market information systems developed and strengthened
- Value chain upgrading supported and strengthened
- Enhanced private sector engagement in and support to marketing and processing of targeted value chain products as well as other key opportunities
C. Private sector alliances in selected value chains built and strengthened
The Senior Agricultural/ Value Chain Advisor will serve as the key technical lead for Tuskys supermarket.
He/she will supervise technical and field-based activities including value chain development, market linkages, private sector engagement and local partners’ capacity building support for consistence in quality and quantity produce into Tuskys supermarket.
The Senior Value Chain Advisor will:
- The Senior Value Chain Advisor will provide oversight and direction to the production units in the various value chains. Responsibilities include technical supervision of annual work plan process and development of program activities.
- Supervise value chain assessments and oversee the value chain selection process. This includes developing scopes of work for any consultants/volunteers who may be required to help carry out these assessments. Provide leadership and mentoring to local technical team on analyzing data from the assessments.
- Design activities that increase small-scale agricultural production and market linkages that lead to increased profitability of on-farm enterprises. This includes the development and implementation of upgrading plans in targeted value chains with a focus on improving small-scale crop and livestock productivity and net revenues.
- Work with the technical team to identify existing institutions and organizations that have a good understanding of the local business and who could be partners in the implementation of the project. Develop scopes of work for engaging these organizations. Coordinate with other donors and development projects to leverage project resources and to avoid duplication of efforts.
- Coordinate field teams, this includes designing farmer demonstration plots based on good agricultural practices for each targeted value chain. Support the local team in identifying lead farmers and firms to partner in these efforts.
- Provide technical leadership for the design, formalization, and management of private sector partnerships (PPPs). Identify, assess, and recommend potential private sector partners and partnership opportunities.
- Coordinate and collaborate with local partners including private enterprises, NGOs, and CBOs working on agricultural development. Provide technical guidance and capacity building services to local NGOs and partners.
- Provide technical input into quarterly and annual reports. Provide content to success stories and other project documents. Ensure staffs are providing required input into the monitoring and evaluation system.
- Other responsibilities as may be assigned by the Chief Executive Officer.
Qualifications and Requirements:
Education: Bachelor’s degree in agriculture, business, rural development, or related fields required; Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum five years of experience managing or advising private sector, value chain, or business development projects using the value chain or market solutions approach. Additional experience in the private sector experience desired.
- Experience in conducting value chain assessments and determining appropriate interventions to enhance agricultural productivity and market access for the rural poor. Experience in farm and firm level production cost and profit analysis desired.
- Experience in developing programs aimed at upgrading agricultural value chains through enhanced private sector engagement. Experience in developing PPPs and other private sector alliances.
- Experience in developing and managing agricultural training courses and events, especially capacity building activities in support of local agriculturally focused NGOs and CBOs. Experience in setting up demonstration sites in situations desired.
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility and integrity. Strong written and oral communications skills in English is required.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should email a Cover Letter and Curriculum Vitae in to the below email by 15th August 2016.
Only short-listed candidates will be conducted.
Email: [email protected]