The Council of Governors (CoG) is established under Section 19 of the Intergovernmental Relations Act 2012 with the mandate to provide a mechanism for consultation amongst County Governments, share information on performance of the counties in execution of their functions, facilitate capacity building for governors, and consider reports from other intergovernmental forums on national and county interests amongst other functions (Section 20).
To enable the Council achieve its mandate and vision, the Council wishes to recruit results oriented individual with drive, vision and creativity to fill the following position:
Resource Mobilization and Donor Liaison Grants Officer
Overall responsibility: The overall responsibility is to provide technical support through diversifying the resource base for county led development programming and stakeholder liaison.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Resource Mobilization and Donor Liaison Grants Officer will perform the following duties:
- Contribute in development of the Council of Governors’ development partners, private sector relations and fundraising strategy that aligns with the CoG’s wider mandate, the political and technical context, operational priorities and needs, and with Council’s global and regional strategies.
- Enhance the Council’s relations with development Partners and Private Sector in Kenya and beyond. Organize, attend, report and follow up on contacts and meetings with development partner, private sector, private foundations, collate and provide updates on CoG’s programs and activities, collect information about donors’ policies, approaches and funding opportunities, feedback to relevant colleagues and services and provide advice on the follow up as needed in view of new, emerging and continuing sector support opportunities.
- Maintain thorough knowledge of development partners, private foundations and private sector priorities for Kenya, and specific requirements related to the project planning, development and reporting.
- Consolidate concepts and project proposals in line with the Council’s strategy, operational priorities and needs with development partners’, private sector and private foundations’ interests and requirements for negotiations and support.
- Provide inputs and advice in view of developing new CoG’s operational strategies and responses, as well as the recommendations for new approaches.
- Share relevant information and analysis on the Kenya context, funding trends and activities.
- Provide input and coordinate the Project Development/M&E Work plan and the development and updating of a project, reporting and contract schedule for all supported projects in line with the donors’ requirements in collaboration with the relevant teams.
- Consolidate and analyze data on programme implementation and CoG’s activities, in order to facilitate the preparation of reports as may be required.
- Undertake regular in-country and field visits in Iraq to assist in coordinating, evaluating and improving the planning, programming, implementation and monitoring of projects.
- Provide feedback to Director Programs through regular meetings, briefings and information exchanges, provide support and input into planning and functioning of all the supported committees.
- Provide input, as necessary to Public Information (PI) products of the Council of Governors with regards to the external resources and relevance.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Political or Social Science, International Relations, Development Studies, Public Policy or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience and knowledge working with the new funds flow mechanism in view of the two levels of government is critical;
- Experience working in an intergovernmental organization and knowledge of the workings of the development partners and private sector in Kenya is essential;
- Experience in programme development, project monitoring and evaluation required;
- Excellent project development and report writing skills;
- Excellent knowledge of programme management cycle;
- Computer skills and knowledge of relational databases, Microsoft applications, spreadsheets, word processing etc.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms;
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience;
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services;
- Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
- Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter;
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives and concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
- Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of CoG.
- This position may be adjusted to a consultancy if that need is identified through the recruitment process.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment.
The contract duration is for three (3) years renewable annually subject to availability of resources and performance.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should send a CV, cover letter, copies of ID, certificates, testimonials, current and expected remuneration, names and addresses of three referees to [email protected] on or before Friday, 29th October 2016 and indicate the title of the position you are applying in the subject of the email.