Vacancy: Head of Finance
Education Development Trust, formerly CfBT Education Trust, is a not-for-for profit international education services company with over 40 years’ experience, working in more than 80 countries.
Our vision is to provide outstanding, sustainable education solutions that transform and improve the school education and life chances of children and young people worldwide.
We have specialist experience in strengthening education systems and supporting school improvement in post-conflict, transition and early-recovery fragile states.
We are a knowledge-led organisation, offering our clients education solutions informed by leading edge thinking and research, with a relentless focus on educational impact demonstrating the benefits we provide through our contracts.
Education Development Trust is looking for a qualified and suitable person as the Head of Finance for the Sub Saharan Africa Regional Office.
Job purpose: The Head of Finance will provide effective financial leadership and management for Education Development Trust’s Sub Saharan Africa (SSA) programmes and projects.
The job holder will provide leadership in all Finance and Commercial activities, and specifically with responsibility for oversight of accounting; treasury and cash management; budget development and expenditure monitoring.
In addition, the job holder will be responsible for internal control; compliance; and quality assurance of internal and external financial reports.
- Overall responsibility for commercial oversight across the SSA Programme, including review and preliminary sign-off on all new proposals
- Oversee currency and cash flow management in each programme and consolidate to regional position.
- Quality assurance and consolidation of the local financial activities (Management Accounting, Financial Accounting, Cash flow requirements) across all contracts.
- Lead, manage and motivate finance department ensuring appropriate advice, guidance and support is provided in line with best practice.
- Oversee the financial control environment across the Sub Saharan Africa Programme.
- Oversight of compliance in all territories, (local legislation, client and corporate)
- Support the establishment of programmes in new countries. (tax, local reporting etc.)
- Escalation point with clients on financial aspects of existing contracts.
- Maintain positive interpersonal and communication relationships with the head office and regional finance teams.
- First point of escalation with the Donors and Partner Institutions pertaining to the implementation of signed agreements
- Controlling and approving financial payments and obligations, within Delegation of Authority
- Assist and support the Regional Director and other senior staff as appropriate.
- Provide support to the Regional Director, including managing the development of budgets for new projects and activities.
- Ensure that all new project budgets are prepared in accordance with Education Development Trust guidelines.
- Ensure that all budgets for new projects are approved in line with corporate guidelines before submission to the client.
- Provide an analysis of contribution for each new project.
- Any other reasonable duty as may be assigned that is consistent with the nature of the job and the safe and effective operation of the organisation.
Scope: Education Development Trust has a regional hub based in Nairobi which provides operational and back office support to a number of projects delivered in the region.
The turnover of the region is c£9m and growing. The post holder will be a member of the SSA senior management team and expected to adopt a “hands on” approach within the function.
- Qualified accountant (CPA or ACCA - certified.)
- Bachelor of Business Administration (Finance & Accounting), Economics or relevant areas of discipline.
- Excellent knowledge of financial ERP systems and how to use then in providing insight to financial decision making.
- Knowledge and experience of a financial role where building relationships and supporting non-finance professionals has been fundamental part of role.
- Education sector experience
- Bid submission and support from a financial/commercial standpoint
- Knowledge and experience in Agresso system
- Experience leading on financial aspects of multi-country, multi-donor and multi-currency contract management and providing advice on complex financial management.
- Minimum of ten years' experience in financial management in the international development sector with three in a similar capacity.
- Demonstrable evidence of strong financial and commercial understanding of managing large contracts and budgets, and the business acumen to monitor financial performance and achieve efficiencies.
- Proven experience of motivating & developing teams – including performance management & appraisals.
- DFID, USAID and EU, financial guidelines and regulations and sound judgment in applying them to diverse field based operations.
- Proven experience in ability to lead, influence and communicate with others
- A track record of achievement within a high pressured, results orientated role.
- Well-developed strategic and analytical thinking skills.
- Excellent negotiating, influencing, communication and interpersonal skills with peers, reports and senior colleagues both within and outside the company.
- Well-developed managerial style with strong people performance and development capability.
- Highly numerate with strong analytical and problem solving ability
- Ability to work collaboratively with others to provide high quality service
- Strong organisational and time management skills, and ability to manage tasks with precise deadlines.
- Have a high degree of integrity, tact, diplomacy and corporate spirit
- Excellent attention to detail, with the ability to work accurately in a busy and demanding environment
Salary circa Ksh. 350,000 pm depending on experience.
Interested and eligible candidates should submit a detailed CV and Cover letter including three referees and the expected salary to [email protected] ONLY with the subject line of the name of the post applied for.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Applications must be received on or before 27th October, 2016.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Education Development Trust is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and police clearance checks.