Vacancy: Bio-Innovate Programme Assistant
Ref. No. NRS/177/102016
icipe - African Insect Science for Food and Health is a world-class research centre with a mission to alleviate poverty by ensuring food security, improving health, protecting the environment, and building the capacity of researchers and communities across the developing world through the application of insect sciences.
Employing more than 500 national and international staff, icipe is headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya with outposts in Ethiopia, Somalia, Uganda, and on the shores of Lake Victoria in western Kenya.
icipe has a proud reputation and history of delivering world-quality science that has made crucial contributions to African food and health policy, delivered development outcomes to rural communities, and has been at the forefront of building Africa’s biological research capacity.
The Centre’s research activities span the African continent with partnerships linking research organisations, not only across Africa, but also the globe.
In addition, more than 150 graduate students and a number of postdoctoral fellows contribute to icipe’s research portfolio annually.
The Bio-resources Innovations Network for Eastern Africa Development (Bio-Innovate) Programme is a regional initiative established in 2010 with support from Sida, Sweden to support bioscience research and innovation activities in eastern Africa.
It addresses regional priorities in science, technology and innovation aligned with the AU-NEPAD’s Science Technology and Innovation Strategy for Africa (STISA), the science agenda for Africa (S3A) and the Comprehensive Africa Agriculture Development Programme (CAADP).
Bio-Innovate’s goal is to improve productivity and profitability of smallholder farmers and agro-processors in eastern Africa, while ensuring environmental sustainability.
It seeks to promote inclusive growth by linking smallholder farmers to new market niches characterised by sustainable and resource-efficient value chains.
The Programme brings critical players from the public and private sectors together, to promote bioscience innovation in six eastern African countries, namely Burundi, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, and Uganda.
During its first implementation phase (2010–2015), the Programme had the goal of mobilising and deploying bioscience innovation systems to harness bio-resources in the eastern Africa region, whereby innovations for sustainable utilisation, transformation and integration of eastern Africa’s bio-resources would be discovered, developed, intensified, and disseminated to promote regional economic growth and development.
Phase II, hosted at the International Centre of Insect Physiology (icipe), focuses on developing more capacity and devoting more of its resources towards assisting innovation projects move further along the innovation chain into the market.
For more information on Bio-Innovate please visit: http://www.bioinnovate-africa.org/
icipe seeks to recruit a Programme Assistant to work in the Bio-resources Innovations Network for Eastern Africa Development (Bio-Innovate) Programme.
The position is tenable in Nairobi at the icipe Duduville campus and is available to commence immediately.
A competitive and generous compensation package will be offered to the right candidate.
Only shortlisted candidates meeting the itemised requirements will be contacted.
Overall Purpose of the Job: To provide administrative and programme management support to the programme staff for efficient and smooth running of the programme management office (PMO).
- Create and manage electronic and manual filing systems, and maintain and update files and records, archiving and storage.
- Facilitate and keep track of documentation approvals and dispatches to and from PMO and other administrative offices/departments within and outside host institution.
- Support in planning and organising internal and external meetings, workshops and other events (e.g. folders and materials, registration forms, workshop programmes and name tags, follow up on payments and settlement of working advances, documentation and filing of proceedings).
- Actively participate in programme meetings and support minute taking and archiving of proceedings.
- Support the programme management team in follow-up of action points.
- Assist in preparing programmatic meeting materials.
- Anticipate and facilitate the programme’s inventory needs to ensure smooth operations within the PMO in conjunction with relevant departments within host institution.
- Handle maintenance of office assets and keep an inventory of equipment and procured supplies.
- Coordinate all staff travel arrangements and logistical support in conjunction with the relevant departments at host institution, including handling of travel requests and travel expense reports, accommodation and working advances.
- Coordinate logistics for programmatic events, including workshops, conferences etc.
- Respond to routine correspondence, and handle e-mail, telephone communication, requests, enquiries and other communication systems and processes to appropriate parties.
- Establish and maintain a key contact database and email list of all project teams and partners, collaborators and other stakeholders.
Requirements / Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, office management, project management or related discipline.
- At least five years’ experience in programme and office administration in a busy environment, e.g. international organisation or NGO.
- Event management experience will be highly desirable.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing is a strong requirement.
- Customer service experience and public relations skills would be an added advantage.
- Excellent computer skills and proficiency in MS Office (Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook), and working with databases.
Other desirable attributes
- Excellent organisational skills, attention to detail, time management, ability to multiple task, define and set priorities, and problem solve.
- Strong ability to anticipate and plan ahead, and take personal initiative, work both independently and as a team member, and collaborate and coordinate with others.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work under pressure.
This position reports to the Finance and Administration Officer.
The selected candidate should be available to start as soon as possible.
How to Apply
Applications will be accepted up to 4th November 2016, or until the position is filled, whichever is earlier.
Interested applicants should submit:
(a) a confidential cover letter,
(b) detailed CV with names and addresses of 3 referees (including e-mail addresses, fax numbers), and
(c) a statement illustrating suitability against the listed qualifications/competencies/abilities, and skills.
Candidates are required to apply online through: http://recruit.icipe.org
icipe is an equal opportunity employer.
It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equity, teamwork, and respect for diversity.