The International Potato Center (CIP) seeks a highly talented Research Associate for the CIP Sub Saharan Africa Regional Office in Nairobi.
The Center: CIP is a not-for-profit international agricultural research-for-development organization with a focus on potato, sweetpotato, and Andean roots and tubers. Its vision is of roots and tubers improving the lives of the poor.
The Position: The Research Associate will report to the Associate Scientist and will be based at our CIP-Nairobi office.
He/She will be responsible to test the capacity of two candidate genes to confer resistance to the Bacterial Wilt (BW) disease when introduced into potato by genetic engineering.
BW is one of the most damaging disease in tropical regions of the potato and force farmers to apply long rotations using less profitable crops or to take risks of losses due to BW disease.
Duties and Accountabilities:
- Acquire the pflp gene construct, verification, and transfer into Agro strain EHA105;
- Develop the pflp and hrap gene construct, verification, and transfer into Agro strain EHA105;
- Propagate Shangi potato variety in vitro for agro-infection;
- Agro-infect and select on km media of up to 30 putative transgenic events per gene constructs;
- Confirm the transgenic events by PCR and calli induction on high km-media;
- Identify the top 5 high expressers by qRT-PCR using leaves;
- Develop bacterial wilt bio-assays;
- Propagate the top 5 high expressers and non-transgenic Shangi plants;
- Perform bio-assays using artificial infection of potato plants using 2 strains, 2 inoculum doses, and 10 repetitions in the biosafety greenhouse and other biosafety approved facilities.
- At least a Bachelor of Science in Biology;
- 2-3 years of laboratory experience in molecular biology and tissue culture;
- Familiar with PRC, RT-PCR, Southern blotting, and basis of bioinformatics;
- Preferably, previous experience with one of CIP’s mandate crops;
- Good interpersonal relationship skills and communication abilities;
- Be a Kenyan citizen.
Conditions: This is a Nationally Recruited Staff position (NRS). The employment contract will be for a two-year term (with a three-month probation period) with the possibility of renewal, subject to performance and availability of funding.
Applications: Applicants CLICK HERE to apply should apply online through CIP’s Job Opportunities website (http://cipotato.org/open-vacancies/), including a cover letter, a full C.V with the names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable of the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience.
Screening of applications will begin on 10 October, 2016 and will continue until the post is filled.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Learn more about CIP by accessing our web site at http://www.cipotato.org.
CIP is an equal opportunity employer.
Qualified women and professionals are particularly encouraged to apply