Kenya Utalii College
Re-Advertisement: Chief Executive Officer and Principal
Established in 1969, Kenya Utalii College (KUC) is Africa’s premier hospitality and tourism training institution.
With over 60,000 graduates to date, the College remains the region’s single largest producer of skilled personnel for the hospitality and tourism industry: a large number of whom hold top-ranking positions in renowned organisations all over the world.
The College is a state corporation instituted under the Tourism Act, 2011.
Kenya Utalii College serves as the Secretariat for the Association of Hospitality and Tourism Schools (AHTSA): Africa’s only hospitality and tourism organisation with a membership of more than 27 hospitality and tourism schools drawn from over 15 countries.
In addition, KUC is an East African Legislative Assembly (EALA)-accredited Center of Excellence in Hospitality and Tourism training.
In its quest to continuously match the dynamic global demand, the Council of Kenya Utalii College has embarked on a transformative agenda for this notable institution.
Accordingly, the Council is looking for a competent and passionate professional to fill the position of Chief Executive Officer and Principal.
An attractive and competitive remuneration package will be offered to the successful candidate.
The appointment will be for an initial contract period of five (5) years, renewable once for a further period of five (5) years subject to outstanding performance and the achievement of defined targets and outcomes.
The Council is looking for a dynamic leader and strategic thinker with excellent commercial acumen and proven ability to identify and capitalize on economic opportunities in a changing environment.
The Chief Executive Officer and Principal will drive change and transformation at KUC as well as demonstrable competence in managing the training aspect of the College, its core mandate.
The Council is seeking an innovative team leader who will provide sound, focused management and who will take full responsibility for implementing strategy within the power delegated by the College Council.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Integrate a strategic plan with the assistance of functional managers, for the growth of the College and achievement of the College’s vision, mission and corporate objectives.
- Ensure the effective management and utilisation of the financial, human and additional resources to meet the operational, statutory and economic objectives of the College.
- Co-ordinate and control the operations of functional divisions and departments and delegate the detailed implementation of the policies and programmes to managers.
- Maintain a conducive work environment in order to attract, retain and motivate employees while fostering a corporate culture that promotes ethical practices and good corporate citizenship.
- Secure effective co-operation and collaboration with other public, private and international bodies and institutions that have important roles for the provision of services.
- Ensure that all policies are adhered to and conform to all legal, statutory and regulatory guidelines.
- Build a dynamic, high-performance organisation driven by talented and competent staff who consistently deliver outstanding results.
- Develop a risk management policy and framework with the senior management team that ensures the College has adequate systems and processes to deliver accountability, risk management and internal controls.
Skills and Attributes
The successful candidate should demonstrate the following academic and professional achievements:
- An advanced degree in Hospitality, Tourism, Finance, Economics, Management or related discipline from a recognized University;
- Membership of a recognized and respected professional body or organization;
- Corporate Governance training;
- A high degree of professional competency, administration capabilities, strategic initiatives and a thorough understanding of public sector policy and reforms, corporate planning and execution that impact on the attainment of corporate goals;
- Minimum of Ten (10) years of experience, five (5) of which must be in senior management.
Candidates will be required to satisfy the requirement of Chapter Six of the Constitution of Kenya, 2010 on Leadership and Integrity and are, therefore, required to submit clearance certificates from the following institutions together with their application:
- Kenya Revenue Authority (Tax Compliance Certificate)
- Higher Education Loans Board
- Ethics & Anti-Corruption Commission
- Directorate of Criminal Investigations (Certificate of Good Conduct)
- A Report from an approved Credit Reference Bureau (CRB)
Experienced Transformational leaders are encouraged to submit their application.
Only those short listed will be contacted
How to Apply
How to Apply
Interested Candidates may apply in writing or via e-mail.
Applications must include a cover letter and detailed CV stating relevant experience and qualifications, current position, remuneration, contact details and references.
Applications must be received on or before 21st October 2016: late submissions will be rejected.
Applications should be addressed to:
The Chairman, Council,
Kenya Utalii College, Off Thika Road,
P. O. Box 31052-00600,
E-mail applications should be sent to:[email protected]