Kenya Industrial Research and Development Institute (KIRDI) is a National Research Institute under the Ministry of Industry, Trade and Co-operatives (State Department for Investment and Industry).
It was established under the Science and Technology Act Cap.250 of the Laws of Kenya in 1979, (now repealed and replaced by the Science, Technology and Innovation Act No.28 of 2013) as a multidisciplinary institution to undertake research and development in industrial and allied technologies.
The institute wishes to fill the following vacant position:
Corporation Secretary and Head of Legal Unit
Job Description: The Corporation Secretary will be the Head of the Legal and Compliance Department.
He/She will report to the CEO and will be responsible for advising the Board and Management on Governance, Legal. Regulatory, Compliance matters and also provide Corporate Secretarial services to the Board of Directors.
Specific duties and responsibilities will entail:
- Advising the Board on their duties, responsibilities, obligations, relevant laws and governance matters;
- Coordinating governance, legal and compliance audits;
- Assisting in preparation of Board and Committee work plans, budgets and charters
- Assisting in carrying out Board induction, training and evaluation;
- Coordinating the timely preparation and circulation of Board and Committee meeting papers and taking minutes thereof;
- Keeping safe custody of the Corporation seal, Board correspondences, records and other relevant documents;
- Preparing legal advice and opinion, legal interpretation of various matters and handling legislation and litigation matters relating to institute;
- Ensuring compliance with laws, rules and regulations by the Board and Management;
For appointment to this post, a candidate must have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Law (LLB)
- Master’s degree in Law, Strategic Management or any other relevant field
- Current Practicing Certificate from the Law Society of Kenya
- Certified Public Secretary (CPS) and a Member of the Institute of Certified Public Secretaries of Kenya in good standing. KASNEB qualifications for CPS will be an added advantage.
- Minimum 9 years’ experience with 3 years’ experience at Managerial level
- Proven Experience as Corporation Secretary or in similar governance role
Interested candidates for the job must attach clearance certificates from;
- Kenya Revenue Authority
- Higher Education Loans Board
- Commission for University Education for degrees obtained outside Kenya
- Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission
- Directorate of Criminal Investigation (Certificate of Good Conduct)
- An approved Credit Reference Bureau
Interested applicants should forward copies of their application letters, academic and professional certificates, testimonials, up-to-date curriculum vitae and identification cards/passport to reach the undersigned not later than Friday 11th November 2016, 5.00 PM.
Please indicate respective position you wish to be considered for on the application letter and envelope
Kenya Industrial Research and Development Institute (KIRDI)
Popo Road, Nairobi South C
P.O. Box 30650 - 00100
NB: KIRDI is an equal opportunity employer and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Any canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.