Secours Islamique France (SIF)
Position Title: Social Worker
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Duration of contract: 3 Months with strong possibility of extension
Expected starting date: Oct, 2016 (ASAP)
Organization Profile: Secours Islamique France (SIF) is an International Non-Governmental Organization that is based in France.
Founded in 1991, SIF is a non-profit and non-political organization dedicated to alleviate the suffering of the poorest people.
SIF acts wherever humanitarian and social needs require mobilization of emergency relief and/or implementation of development programs.
Today, SIF intervenes in around 20 countries and has been providing assistance to the most vulnerable for 20 years without discrimination as to culture, ethnicity, religion or sex.
Job Description: SIF is currently implementing a multi-faceted pilot project in the slums of Nairobi that involves youth and community empowerment on activities associated with the education / prevention of Gender based Violence, education and prevention of HIV/AIDS, reduction in drug / alcohol abuse and peace and reconciliation efforts.
Under the supervision of the Technical Project Manager, the SIF Social Worker will be in charge of all the social components of this pilot project and reporting on activities and progress.
S/he will also be required to work closely and cooperatively with other SIF units including Finance and Logistics to ensure the success of projects while maintaining full compliance with established policies and procedures.
Project Development and Management
Duties will include:
- Taking the lead in the guidance/mentorship of Youth Advocacy Officers in delivering on their mandates that include, but not limited to, mobilizing the local CBOs, conducting a professional outreach service to the youth engaged or affected by Crime/Violence, HIV/Aids, Gender and Domestic violence and Drug/alcohol abuse.
- Mapping of institutions that provide guidance/counselling support to those affected and linking them to those individual cases identified by the Youth Advocacy Officers
- Is responsible for choosing the right interventions to make sure those affected by GBV, HIV/Aids, Drug/alcohol access the right institutions.
- Creates a data base of all the statistics of those reached and served by the project, analyze and consolidate reports.
- Visiting the Sub county and county social departments and all relevant structures of the government and mobilizing for facilitation in consultation with the implementing partner - Inter Faith Council.
- Performing any other duties as assigned by the Technical Project Manager and/or Field Coordinator
- Comply with all SIF Security Regulations and consult immediately with the line manager, Field Coordinator and/or the Head of Mission on matters to do with staff security and safety.
- A Bachelor’s degree or a diploma in Social work or other related humanitarian field is required
Professional Attributes / Qualifications
- At least 2 years previous experience with an INGO in at least two of the following thematic areas of humanitarian intervention: Orphans & Vulnerable Children (OVC), Child Protection, Youth/Community Empowerment Programming, is required.
- Certified courses and/or other specialized training such as the Project Planning Cycle, the Principles of Management, and Monitoring/Evaluation Techniques would be considered a definite asset.
- Self-driven, motivated and results oriented with proven leadership skills.
- Analytical, accurate and able to multi-task.
- Passionate about the humanitarian context and serving the poorest of the poor.
- Ability to produce quality work and decisions under pressure and adhere to deadlines.
- Strong computer skills including MS Word, Excel, Power point, spread sheets etc.
- Demonstrated competence in clear written and spoken English.
- Acceptance of diverse cultures and religions
Please submit your application (CV, 3 references) to the attention of:
not later than Oct 17, 2016
Please identify “Social Worker” in the subject line.
SIF is an equal opportunity employer and only short listed candidates will be contacted.