Position: Company Legal Officer
Reports to: The Chief Executive Officer
The Role: Provide legal support and represent the Company in Civil Litigation and also perform corporate duties.
- Initiate and pursue legal proceedings as required by the Company i.e., prepare writs, defenses, submissions and other pleadings in civil cases both “for and against” the Company.
- Prepare, file and plead cases in Commercial Court in pursuit of amounts owed to the Company.
- Advise on civil matters that should be directed to external counsel.
- Liaise with and assist external Counsel in the discharge of their obligation
- File oppositions in matters where title is being passed or property is being encumbered and there are arrears due and payable to the Company.
- Advise on statutory compliances.
- Research and prepare legal opinions on various civil matters including claims for compensation against the Company.
- Draft and/or review legal letters, contracts and agreements and monitor legal obligations under agreements to ensure compliance, as requested.
- Submit all judgments to the Legal Officer supporting the Loss Reduction Division diligently.
- Submit quarterly work reports to Management and the Board of Directors.
- Submit quarterly reports on targets achieved together with an appraisal report to the Chief Executive Officer.
- Cause to be maintained, a database of the status of all court matters involving the Company.
- Represent the Company at Arbitration and Public Utilities Commission hearings.
- Assist in the formulation, implementation and/or amendment of Company policies.
- Draft, amend, review and/or recommend modifications to the electricity sector or related laws and regulations governing the Company.
- Perform duties as Secretary to Management Committee, Management Tender Board and all Sub Committees of Management Committee.
- Provide sound legal advice to the Company and make recommendations to Management as necessary.
- Attend special committee meetings and offer advice as required.
Qualifications & Skills
- An Attorney-at-Law with at least 5 years of experience in handling legal matters in a corporate environment.
- Technical understanding of the Company’s business and operations and attention to details.
- Excellent interpersonal communication at all levels (verbal and written).
- Problem solving and analytical skills.
- Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines.
- Ability to cope with high levels of responsibility and with confidential matters.
- Ability to work well within the team.
- A high level of professionalism which is required on the job at all times.
- Computer Literacy.
- Be conversant with the OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY & HEALTH ACT
Qualified applicants to send CVs quoting current and expected salary to [email protected]
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.