Kenya Children’s Home (KCH) was established by the Balcraig Foundation in 2002 when the Scottish charity took over the running of the former Thomas Barnardo House in Nairobi.
The orphanage is the flagship project of KCH and is home to up to 200 orphaned, destitute and abandoned babies and children at any one time.
Since its inception, KCH has grown significantly, extending its support far beyond the reach of the Nairobi orphanage, with the commencement and development of many other community projects throughout Kenya.
These projects continue to enrich the lives of many hundreds of Kenyan children and adults every day.
Job Title: Procurement Officer
Reporting to: Deputy Finance Manager
Liaises with: Procurement and Tender Committee
Job Summary: The Purchasing Officer will be based at Kenya Children’s Homes.
He/ she is responsible for negotiating, acquiring, and documenting all purchases as authorized by the Chief Administrator and Finance Manager, he/she must ensure that all goods are properly received, stored, and issued and the Purchasing Officer must work closely and effectively with all the department heads.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Ensure compliance with the organizations procurement policy and procedures including implementation of procurement and tender committee procurement decisions.
- Ensure that all purchase order requests are properly completed and approved before a purchase order is prepared and the items are purchased.
- Cutting any waste and unnecessary costs to create a streamlined process and fast delivery times.
- Building strong working relationships both internally (All departments) and with key suppliers to promote effective purchasing..
- Ensure that finance department through stores works closely with other departments and finance manager to purchase the highest quality product while constantly searching for the lowest price.
- Ensure that all items received by the Charity are properly documented and booked in the inventory system in accordance with KCH’s purchasing and receiving procedures.
- Negotiate stock prices where necessary with the suppliers and place orders based on requirements and ensure prompt delivery as requested within the prescribed receiving hours.
- Ensure that there are sufficient expendable operating supplies on hand for each department by co-ordinating and conducting regular stock counts with the stores personnel and /or department heads.
- Organising,co-ordinate and participate in all month-end ,quarterly and year end stock take and ad hoc surprise stock counts from time to time as requested by the finance manager.
- Sending of all inventory reports such as daily, weekly and monthly inventory valuations and variance report, Monthly Slow moving, obsolete stocks and expired stocks reports to the Finance Manager as per the stipulated deadlines.
- Assist the management with obtaining competitive price quotations and confirm purchase availabilities.
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule in order to accomplish all major responsibilities and tasks.
- Participate in the home’s fund raising events as organized from time to time.
- Any other duties as allocated by management from time to time.
Key Competencies and Skills
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Good negotiation skills
- Integrity, Professionalism and Objectivity in my work
- Accurate and timely inventory reports
- Positive feedback from the suppliers
- Adherence to all provisions of the procurement policy
- Ability to adhere to deadlines
- At least 4 years’ experience in a similar role is an asset
- A diploma/degree in purchasing or supplies management
- Membership to the Kenya Institute of Supplies Management(KISM)
- Should have the ability to work independently and in teams
- Good knowledge of accounting systems such as QuickBooks
How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet the above criteria should send applications to:
The HR Manager,
P.O. Box 44261-00100,
P.O. Box 44261-00100,
Email: [email protected]
Hard copies can be dropped at Thomas Barnardo House, besides Weston Hotel along Langata Road
Deadline: 18th July, 2017