Job Vacancy: Market Systems & Value Chain Specialist
TechnoServe Background: TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries.
We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets.
Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs and wealth for their families and communities.
With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
Program Description: The Kenya Feed the Future Crop and Dairy Market Systems Development Activity is a $60M project focused on horticulture, dairy and staple crops.
The project will use a market systems facilitation approach to inclusive and sustainable agriculturally-led economic growth, strengthened resilience among people and systems, and a well-nourished population, especially women and children.
This position will report to the Chief of Party.
Key role and responsibility:
Key role and responsibility:
Reporting to the Chief of Party, the Market Systems and Value Chain Specialist will:-
- Provide technical leadership over activities that create competitive, inclusive, and sustainable agricultural market systems
- Use a facilitative approach to promote effective coordination and competition of horizontally and vertically linked market actors, build the capacity of lead firms, strengthen the ecosystem of BDS and value chain-specific service providers, improve access to financial services, and promote trade (domestic, regional and international).
- Focus on building the capacity of market system actors to adopt new behaviors that support system change
- Ensure timely and accurate reporting on project activities
- Collaborate with the monitoring and evaluation (M&E) team to ensure rigorous data collection and analysis
- Coordinate closely with project leadership to ensure high quality, integrated program delivery
Minimum required skills and experience:
- A minimum of 10 years’ international experience with successful market systems development projects with management responsibility.
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience on large ($10M+), complex projects in developing countries.
- Demonstrated success in implementing projects aimed at increasing the competitiveness and inclusiveness of market systems using facilitation approaches.
- A bachelor’s degree and technical expertise In a field related to agricultural development such as: agricultural economics, marketing, agribusiness management or related fields.
- In-depth knowledge and experience in agricultural market systems, including increasing production and quality, improving post-harvest handling and reducing loss, marketing to domestic and International buyers, promoting value addition and processing, and promoting uptake of improved practices and technologies.
- Horticulture and/or dairy sector experience is critical.
- Experience with staple crops is preferred.
- Demonstrated understanding of cross-cutting issues in a Kenyan context including gender, nutrition, food security, youth and vulnerable populations, and climate-smart approaches.
- Familiarity with market system actors in Kenya including government actors, private sector and civil society. Knowledge of Kenyan agricultural market system actors highly desired, particularly horticulture and dairy. Knowledge of market actors In staple crops is preferred.
- Previous experience in a leadership role on a donor-funded project (such as USAID, DFID, Sida, Danida or the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC).
- Understandlng of USAID policies and procedures is a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate and communicate effectively and diplomatically with a range of external and Internal colleagues.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English required, including a demonstrated track record of producing high quality, well-written deliverables.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage activities, including staffing, work plans, deliverables, timelines and budgets..
- Ability to travel within Kenya up to 50% of the time.
- Local candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
This position is contingent upon donor funding.
We welcome hearing from qualified and interested applicants.
Please send your cover letter and resumé to [email protected].
Deadline for applications is 14th July 2017.
Due to a high volume of applicants, please understand that we are able to contact only those who meet the minimum qualifications.
Applications will be considered as received.
No phone calls, please.
TechnoServe Is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females and Individuals with Disabilities.